Power supply slightly warm when powered down

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YelloWRX, Apr 6, 2005.

1. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

when the computer has been off for 12+ hours?

I just happened to be reaching behing my desktop and felt the back of the PSU to be ever so slightly warm (as opposed to the rest of the case being cool to the touch).

Is this normal when the machine is plugged in even tho it's powered down?

It's brand new, the oem one crapped out on me. Hence my interest. Everything seems to be working just fine.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Computers have been on (standby power) when they appear off for YEARS, at least as far back as the Pentium II. That's why you want to unplug the power cord and wait at least 10 seconds before messing with PS2 devices or anything inside. Your computer is like your TV, DVD player, home theater receiver, or just about any other consumer electronic device that still draws power even with "off". Drawing power = some heat.

3. YelloWRX

Antec Just told me that Dell uses proprietary power supplies that differ from the standard ATX.

I've never heard this before. Everything fit and has worked fine since I put it in yesterday. It's a Dell Dimension 4600 which had an oem Foxteq PSU that died.

Cliffs: Dell dimension takes standard ATX power supply?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've always heard that Dell rearranges the pins on a standard ATX power supply so you can't use an off the shelf replacement. But I've also heard that more recent ones take a standard ATX pinout. I wish I knew for sure.

5. YelloWRX

It's a 4600 with a 2.8Ghz, 800Mhz FSB.

Anyone? It's working fine so far, I just want to be sure...

6. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Don't sweat it; the 4xxx series used standard ATX PSU's starting with the 4400. We have a 4400 in our house, and the pins are stock ATX. It's just missing the +5V rail, which is no issue. HP uses Bestec PSU's for their machines, and they're not that bad, besides the 11.7V +12V rail. They also have the +5V missing on them, and they've worked great with six motherboards. A Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P Dual CPU Socket A board, a Chaintech 7NIL1 Socket A board, ASRock K7S8XE+ Socket A board, FIC VA-503+ Socket 7 OCing board (Love the little bastard - it was a very popular model, with good reason), Mitac PWA-AVNV Slot 1 board (Taken from a Compaq Presario 5700T, it's a very good board), and a shit-ass Trigem Cognac Socket 370 board from an HP Pavilion 6630.

The Bestec PSU that ran on those six motherboards had the same missing +5V rail the Dell ones have...And the boards really don't give a shit.

7. YelloWRX

Yea, what exactly is that +5v connection for that wasn't on the oem psu?

8. YelloWRX

above is what a Dell rep told me...

I'm using an Antec 300w unit in this machine now and it's working fine. I was just startled by the fact that the psu housing was slightly warm after being off for hours.

9. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

It may have been used for first gen Socket 7 Pentium boards...I honestly don't know.

10. YelloWRX

So bottom line. Is it safe to assume that if the unit fits, the screws fit, the mobo connections fit, and the pc works it's ok to use a standard atx?

(I know dell told me it's a standard atx but im not sure i trust them)

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

The real test is if it works and has at least as much current on each rail as the original. If it smokes, that's bad.

12. YelloWRX

seems to work fine so far through my heavy duty web surfing and im chatting.

13. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The ultimate stress test. :run:

14. 01000101

01000101 New Member

that smilie rawks!

15. YelloWRX

anyone else?