Power Supply Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by C-Lord, Aug 19, 2004.

1. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

The connection on the power supply to the motherboard has burnt pin the plastic around it black it almost melted. I wanted to know how to prevent this and what caused it. BTW I have a 2500+ overclocked. I'm using the power supply that came with my chieftec case i think its 420w.

2. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

dont OC on a cheap psu

3. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

Poor quality connector. Poor connection means resistance and resistance means heat.

4. Person

Person Guest

yea dont use a cheap psu.... go for an antec or a thermaltake somewhere along the line of quality PSUs... usually the heavier the psu the better.

5. C-Lord

C-Lord New Member

Alright guys thanks alot!!! i think i'm going to buy a antec 480w

6. Person

Person Guest

good choice i recommend newegg.com but you can get the thermaltake 480w for cheaper on that site.

7. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

the chieftec PSU is an Antec;) and on tom's hardware in his mega PSU review the chieftec 420w did rather well. Enermax PSU's are also very good too. Weight doesn't tell you how good a PSU is by it self. all that tells you is they slapped a bigger heatsink in there. the ratings of the different rails is a better factor to look at. Enermax 550watt 36 amp per rail antec's 550 dosn't have that good of ratings across the 3 rails and your voltage will suffer cause of it. believe me I know I have 2 computers with antec true power 550's and 1 with the enermax 550. the enermax is also lighter than the antec.

8. Person

Person Guest

like i said usually and my cheiftec case came with this gay 420w psu that cant handle my shit :) so generally speaking i would go along the lines of Antec, Enermax, TurboCool, Thermaltake. i recomended the thermaltake ones because they are about 70 shipped on newegg.com + i have it and my vcore never gets off 1.65-1.68v

9. Jerboy

Jerboy Guest

Your power supply doesn't regulate Vcore. Onboard votlage regulator does.

10. ZetecRacing

ZetecRacing New Member

interesting.... what do you got that caused it to not work?

I had the 420w chieftec and it works just fine with my:
    Abit AT7-Max2
    [email protected]
    1gb PC2700 (512x2)
    Geforce 3 Ti500
    PCI Tv tuner card
    4x DVDrw
    52X cdrw
    20gb 7200rpm IDE x2 Raid 0
    60gb 7200rpm IDE 8mb cache
    120gb 7200rpm SATA 8mb cache

sold it to an old room mate of mine about 2 months ago and it works just fine still

ooh and like Jerboy said above the motherboard regulates the voltage not the PSU. The AT7 has 4 phase power so I am sure that helps.... BUT never had a problems with the same setup on the KD7-Raid I had before the AT7 which is a 3 phase power board. voltages didn't change much on either.