Power Supply Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nuttertmf, Apr 25, 2007.

1. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

My computer keeps freezing and I think its due to my power supply not being powerful enough. Is there any progam I can get that measures my psu loads. How do I get to the bottom of this problem?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You can buy a psu tester from bestbuy/circuit city, etc, for around $12.

Have you checked for error logs?

3. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

noob question but I am just going to go ahead and ask it. Where would I check the error logs. The computer freezes after i play a game for a bit, may be heat releated.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

your motherboard should have software that will let you measure voltages, 3.3, 5 and 12v rails.

5. CPipes

CPipes Shit definitely just got real!! OT Supporter

On topic of powersupply problems. Both of my DVD players are having issues. When i got to decode a dvd with dvd shrink it seems like it freezes and has the "redundency error", If i try to burn a data dvd when it gets to the actual burn part it gives an error and when i watch a dvd it gets choppy. Could this be a power issue??? They worked fine before.

I've tried 2 other drives from my other cpu and they do the same thing when i install them

6. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

Could a psu problem cause intermittent freezing?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a psu test is worthless. All it does is turn on the psu without connecting it to a computer. Worthless. It doesn't tell you that your rails arn't up to snuff under load.

Multimeter > PSU tester.

8. Create

Create :free at last:

Does the video freeze before the computer reboots?

Or does the computer reboot at all?

Do you get a blue screen, if even just a flash of blue and insta-reboot?

Sorry, the answer to your question is yes, but it could just as likely be heat. The above questions will give us a clue without checking the logs (which is what you should do)

I forgot the pathing, but in XP Prof find Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Look in System and Application for Warnings and Errors immediately after you see the symptoms. Screenies > anything else.

9. Create

Check drive jumper settings (one on slave one on master per cable). Try hooking power from seperate root cords from the PSU, rather than the same lead.

10. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

When the comp freezes it only does so when I am playing a game. The game freezes (video and sound stop) and I can still move the mouse around, but I cant alt+tab or alt+f4 or ctrl+alt+del and I have to restart it.

11. nuttertmf

nuttertmf New Member

Checked the logs and there was one warning that kept coming up about a registry value, but the time on it was not in any way coorelated with my freezing problem

12. Create

Ok, I don't think it's the PSU. Faulty PSU's usually cause reboots. This sounds like a heat issue but let's check the drivers. Often, I see faulty sound drivers cause games to freeze.

Check your driver versions for sound and video. If they are the most current, push it back a revision. If they are not the most current, install the current ones.

To do this, completely uninstall each driver, then install the new one. Play the game again and see if it freezes. Do both drivers, then test.

If the game test fails again, install the most current drivers for both of them. Completely remove the left side of your computer case. Airdust out the dust if there's alot. Test it with the game again.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  13. Create

Yes, it's most likely a seperate issue.

14. Sphere

Sphere New Member

I think Create is right. Heat issue. Find a suitable application that can
    read the CPU temperature on your mobo. Then play the game for a bit, ALT-TAB out and check temp. It could however also be something besides
    the CPU that's overheating (GPU, Southbridge maybe HDD).

15. AO

AO New Member

And how exactly are you going to use a multi-meter on a psu? Did you make a resistor bank to provide a load?

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

your system *is* the load. You use the multimeter to check rails while running benchmarks. :cool: