power supply problems?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CopenKagan, Nov 26, 2004.

1. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

have a new computer i just built here are the specs
    amd athlon 64 3500+
    abit av8 mother board
    powercolor radeon x800 video card
    audiology II zs sound card
    samsung 16 x dvd rom
    western digital 200 gig sata 7200 rpm hard drive
    400 watt power supply (peak power, 380 max sustainable power)
    windows xp pro

my problem is that every once in a while the computer will just shut off and restart itself on me. if i am in a game (far cry or others) it will sometimes just kick me out to windows without warning. other times it just blinks off and starts the computer complety over. i'm wondering weather this is a power supply problem or a problem with windows itself does anybody have any suggestions about what it might be that is causing this, i would appreciate any advice.
    [​IMG]

2. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i only had one power supply go bad on me, and it would only run my computer for about 10 minutes. not sure if this is how it normally is when supplys go bad.

maybe something is overheating? on your MB you should be able to check your system temps. whats your cooling setup?

not ruling out that its not your power supply, just giving you some ideas to look at.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

most likely not your power supply. If it were, you wouldn't be kicked out of your game, but the system would crash/restart.

try running prime95, 3dmark, etc... gotta stress the system component by component to see what it is.

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Abit probably has a utility that you can run that will monitor voltage and temperatures. Start with that, run something and watch the graphs.

5. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

i had a computer do something like that to me and it did end up being a weak power supply actually. what brand do you have? sometimes they won't actually put out what they say they will...
    something that might be doing the reboot thing is the CPU getting too hot you should check the fan and make sure its ok

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004