Power Supply Noob question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fishbulb, Oct 31, 2003.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Active Member

Oct 29, 2001
    i searched on this topic but couldnt seem to find anything.

i put a new pc together and researched basically everything except for power supplies. i picked up a cheap antec case/ 350 w antec ps combo. is 350 watt sufficient for radeon 9800 and a couple hds and maybe a new sound card down the road? ive heard so many horror stories with power supplies failing im not sure now. thanks in advance
  2. kingtoad

kingtoad Active Member OT Supporter

Sep 2, 2003
    I would get a 400 watt PSU just in case.
    I had a 350 burn on me when I was using my 9700 pro. So, I bought a 420, no complaints yet.
  3. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Power supplies are a kind of controversial topic right now. The hacker/modder crowd claims that 350W is the bare minimum for ANY computer, but I've read plenty of articles guys have written actually measuring their power usage. You know the most I've ever heard? Dual Xeon's running prime95 and burning a CD resulted in like 215W. So you can bet I (along with alot of guys who actually measure this sort of shit) think these 500-600W PSUs are total overkill.

My recommendation? http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?src=PW&item=48402

Basically the best PSU out right now IMHO. Super quiet, super efficient. :cool: piece of hardware. Edit: they also have 350 and 400W versions too.
  4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd say 350 is probably fine, but go with a good quality one. My guess is that the main reason people have power supplies die isn't that they're not powerful enough, it's that they're not well made. They do take a lot of heat and stress, since they're on all the time when the computer's on.