Power supply failed, need suggestions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BoypussY, Dec 9, 2003.

1. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

Time to buy a new one. I think I know why my old one failed, it was probably due to the power hungry geforce 4 ti4600. the old one was only 250 watts. what power supply(wattage) should i choose next time, in order to handle my graphics card. i've never messed with power suppiles before, but after opening up the computer, it looks pretty damn easy(just got to remember which cable goes to which hardware device). are there any tips/suggestions for a guy who wants to mess with the power supply for the first time?

all sugggestions welcome.

thanks in advance.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'd go with 350W or more. If you want a safe brand then go with Antec, but any old PSU will probably work pretty well. As for replacing them, it's really easy, you just unscrew and unplug the old one and screw in and plug in the new one. It doesn't matter which cable goes to which thing really, as long as it's the right shape of plug (not too tough, since it won't fit if it's not).

3. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

thanks for the quick reply penguinman. i had a good idea that it was really easy(just match up the shapes,etc) BUT i was worried if there are some "hidden surprises" when dealing with the PSU. what online store do you guys recommend for buying a new psu? my old psu was a "power win", and if possible i want to get the same brand since its 100% compatible, but just with a higher wattage(350+). does it matter if i get a really high wattage psu, can it damage my other hardware devices?

thanks again

4. Penguin Man

Don't worry about compatibility, almost all PSU's now are ATX form factor, so they'll all be exactly the same in terms of plugs and things.

A higher wattage doesn't mean that it puts through more power to the other devices, it just means that it can draw more power from the wall and thus handle more power draw from hardware in your computer. So, basically, no matter what wattage you get it will still put the same amount of power through to the components.

As for stores, www.newegg.com seems to be the place to go as long as you live in the States. If you're in Canada www.canadacomputers.com and www.ncix.com are both good.

5. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

thank you sir

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I have one power supply to recommend specifically for you: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-104-979&catalog=58&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

It's $32 including fast shipping, and that thing is DEAD silent. As in you cannot tell if the power supply is on or off. It's got a 12cm fan so it moves alot of air when necessary. But it stays dead, dead silent in my computer. It's got enough wattage to be able to handle anything you throw at it. Seriously one of the best buys I have found to date in computer stuff. Go for it :bigthumb:

7. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

guys

i bought a new power supply and its still not turning on. im pretty sure i installed it correctly(but i will double check just to be safe). what happens is when i plug in cable, and turn on the power, i can see the cpu fan move just a bit and then dies. this is the only part that actually "moves". what else could cause my computer to not turn on?

my problem all started when the computer was on, and then out of nowhere teh computer shuts off and this bad "electrical fire" smell happened. i was pretty sure the power supply was toast but now im not too sure.

again please help me out asap.

8. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

Voltage regulators on the motherboard went "poof" would be my first guess

Inspect your motherboard closely for any scorch marks

9. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

do you think its repairable? what exactly do the voltage regulators look like?

10. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

[​IMG]

Voltage regulators are the little black squares in the upper right corner of this motherboard, there are six of them on this motherboard..

Also make sure to check your capacitors, because they naturally degrade over time, and some of them will fail faster than others... so you may have had a capacitor blow up on you...

11. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

If you could determine exactly what component blew up, I don't see a reason why you couldnt replace it :dunno: You'd have to be good with a soldering iron though

12. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

do you guys think that i should reset the cmos jumper?

13. cmos jumpers wouldn't affect powerup. do you own a multimeter? if so, start checking some hotspots.

14. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

:rofl: :hs:

After you've let out the "magic smoke"... there's not alot clearing CMOS can do for you :hs:

But sure, you could give it a shot. Couldn't make things any worse :dunno:

15. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

ok i bought a new motherboard and the computer is booting up. the only problem now is that everytime it tries to load windows xp, i get a blue error screen basically telling me that a problem has been detected and windows has to shut down to prevent damage to my computer, etc,etc. im using the old hard drive that was working perfectly with my old motherboard. there is definately some compatibility problems but i don't really feel like formatting my old hard drive and do a fresh install(got all my mp3s, games, files,etc on that hd). what can i do at this point? the new BIOS system can detect my hard drive if that makes a difference.

thanks

16. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

17. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

use a bootdisk to get to a command prompt instead of loading windows

partition the harddrive, move all the shit you want to keep onto the new partition

format the old partition and install windows on it

viola

18. Penguin Man

Yep, chances are XP doesn't want to load because it doesn't have mobo drivers. I'd get a new HD if you can afford it (they're pretty cheap these days) and install XP on that, then move all your data to the new drive by setting up the old one as a slave.