Power Supply / Back-UPS Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HΞЯО™, Feb 14, 2005.

1. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

I currently own a Back-UPS ES 725 Broadband unit, which has an output power capacity of 450 watts. This is the high-end unit for the home-end.

My current PSU is at 420W and I'm thinking about upgrading because it's a POS and the fan is making this hideous noise! I'm interested in Antec 480 NeoPower or whatever it's called and I was wondering if the Back-UPS unit would be able to handle such a power unit?

I may be answering my own question here just going off the numbers, but wanted input. The next unit to support higher output is for business computers and sells for $189! :wtc:

Another question, if the PSU is 480W.. does that mean the PSU is drawing 480W from the wall outlet/Back-UPS or is that just the maximum power specified for that unit it can draw if the hardware components inside required that much power? In other words, is the PSU constantly drawing the specified maximum power capacity?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I am almost certain that you are correct in saying "just the maximum power specified for that unit it can draw if the hardware components inside required that much power?"

I couldn't imagine how long power supplies would last if they were drawing 100% all of the time. With that note I would say that you are okay. If you are concerned you could get a 450W PS, there are plenty of good ones around.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the PSU is only drawing as much power as is neccessary to sustain a set voltage given the current draw of your components. Therefore, a 500W PSU will draw the same amount of power as a 300W PSU when used on the same system that requires only 220W of power.

4. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

How much it actually draws depends on how the manufacturer tests it and reports their findings. They could measure how much power it can sustain indefinately, peak power, or how much it puts out when they short the 12v to ground and hold the reset switch in.

5. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

:werd:

Just because you are getting a higher end PSU doesn't mean you are going to be using more power, just means you are capable of using more power.

6. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

Thanks for the replies. :)

7. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Don't get an Antec; they are pricey, and overrated.

If you want a great PSU, get an MGE.

If you hate mods, get the MGE SuperCharger 600w.

If you like mods, get the MGE Vigor 400/450/500w.

They are all VERY affordable, and features voltages that kick the crap out of a Sparkle, Enermax, ThermalTake, Antec, or any other name brand PSU.

MGE is coming out with the most powerful fanless PSU's on the planet soon - The Magnum 500/600w units, which have a nice integrated monitoring display, and adjustable voltage pots.

I only use the best, and that's why I'm an MGE fan.

8. HΞЯО™

HΞЯО™ Guest

What about PCPower&Cooling?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they're the best... but not worth the price, imho. But if you can splurge the cash, then it's the ultimate bragging rights in terms of PSUs.

Sparkle is that perfect balance between price and reliability, imo. Enermax gives me that balance between reliability and style.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Ditto. However, I feel MGE is an ever better deal than Sparkle. That's just me, though.

MGE did have a partial recall of their SuperCharger 600w PSU's, but it was the machine's fault, NOT the designers. The piece of junk wired the fans wrong :rofl: . You can detect it yourself just by holding your hand next to the fans. If it's not blowing out of the case, they will replace it free of charge.

Recalls happen to all great companies sometime, though. It's inevitable, even with the Japanese. Let's not forget that the entire first shipment of Nintendo Famicoms in Japan suffered from chipset defects.