Power Lung -- does this thing really work or just a gimmick?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Oct 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

I came across a product called the Power Lung which claims to train your breathing muscles that you use when you inhale and exhale and it says that it increases your endurance and aerobic capacity.

Endurance is a huge problem for me, I run 3 times a week and when i'm running, right around the 2.5 mile mark I am just done and can hardly breathe but my legs aren't even tired, and all throughout my runs I have a hard time controlling my breathing.

When i'm in a hockey game, about half way through the second period I am just so tired, it's not that my body is tired but aerobically i'm very tired, as in breathing and whatnot to the point where i'm almost gasping for air.

I'm doing HIIT twice a week, running 3 times a week, playing ice hockey twice a week, and i'm really not noticing any increase in my aerobic capacity.

Will the "Power Lung" help me?

I actually found this when reading an article about Navy SEAL BUD/S training and things people do to prepare, so I assume it's a quality product but I don't know.

Go look at their website and let me know if you think it's worth the $90 price tag and will produce significant results... http://powerlung.com/us/index.htm

2. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

$90 for a plastic pipe? :ugh:

3. SteveO

SteveO Guest

:rofl: wow the ideas they come up with, looks like you can even plug some albuterol up to it

4. Accord

Accord New Member

So do you guys think it actually works and would increase aerobic endurance/capacity?

5. SteveO

SteveO Guest

no

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

You could have asthma

7. Accord

Accord New Member

I don't.

I'm just feeling the effects of being out of shape for so long.

8. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

endurance is peripheral, meaning the enymatic reactions that occur within ur cells. yours lung fix more than enough O2 to your bloodstream than your body could ever utilize.

9. Accord

Accord New Member

Doesn't seem like it? :dunno:

10. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

:eek4: I was gonna say the EXACT same thing...except i prefer enzymes in my cells :)

11. rugger86

rugger86 New Member

Thing with endurance is to get your breathing down correctly. When your sitting around breathing breath opposite. Meaning breath using your diaphram, so breath in and make your stomach go out and then let it out and have your stomach go flat. In through the nose and out the mouth. Helps when running a lot calms you down and you just feel like your in perpetual motion.

12. lilox

lilox Live fast, Die old

breath in through your nose and out through your mouth, those strips are good that open your airway up on your nose, breathing in this manner also reduces your risk of hyperventilation

13. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

I imagine it would do what it claims, in the strengthening of the respiratory muscles, that is, the diaphgram, inter-costals and the other hip/back/abdominal muscles which aid in this, however, I imagine this stregthening wouldn't result in any increased aerobic performance

14. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

I dont know if it works, but do you really want to use something that makes it look like youre sucking on a big plastic cock?

15. buninader

buninader SMILE!!! I just got ******!!!

breath in and out of a straw

16. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

inhailing O2 is not the limiting factor in endurance

17. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

If Oxygen isnt a limiting factor, than why is it that running at high altitudes is much harder than at low ones? I assume that thing is made to approximate the same effect.

18. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Um ok, its not the limiting factor but you can make it one. Good lord if you tried to run in space you wouldn't be able to because there is no air. And the people that train up there are not breathing harder the efficeincy of their body is better.

19. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

I will search for articles that explain exactly what it is that is limiting you in scientific terms. Another thing to think about is if someone out of shape went running and had an O2 mask on would they be all world runners?

20. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management, University of Tennessee, Knoxville 37996, USA. [email protected]

In the exercising human, maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max) is limited by the ability of the cardiorespiratory system to deliver oxygen to the exercising muscles. This is shown by three major lines of evidence: 1) when oxygen delivery is altered (by blood doping, hypoxia, or beta-blockade), VO2max changes accordingly; 2) the increase in VO2max with training results primarily from an increase in maximal cardiac output (not an increase in the a-v O2 difference); and 3) when a small muscle mass is overperfused during exercise, it has an extremely high capacity for consuming oxygen. Thus, O2 delivery, not skeletal muscle O2 extraction, is viewed as the primary limiting factor for VO2max in exercising humans. Metabolic adaptations in skeletal muscle are, however, critical for improving submaximal endurance performance. Endurance training causes an increase in mitochondrial enzyme activities, which improves performance by enhancing fat oxidation and decreasing lactic acid accumulation at a given VO2. VO2max is an important variable that sets the upper limit for endurance performance (an athlete cannot operate above 100% VO2max, for extended periods). Running economy and fractional utilization of VO2max also affect endurance performance. The speed at lactate threshold (LT) integrates all three of these variables and is the best physiological predictor of distance running performance.

21. Accord

Accord New Member

Interesting, thanks for posting that :cool:

So what can I do to increase my VO2max threshhold?

22. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Workout. There are alot of things you can do to have better endurance, run, run farther, run more frequently, run faster, cardio endurance is just like weight training you need to constantly be pushing yourself harder to get better. Now I am sure there are ways to train smart and be efficient about it but to me it all comes down to hard work. Another option is pharmacologic help, you could get epo which will increase the amount of red blood cells you have to fix O2 so you can deliver more to your muscles. You could take a beta blocker and try and run which will be hard as shit and then when you come off it you should see and improvement.

Another I read about that is interesting, your inspiratory muscles can atrophy. For someone in the hospital you was on a ventilator or had some other major surgery their muscles of inspiration have atrophied so they do need respiratory muscle training. I thought of this after remembering when my dad got out of the hospital after having open heart surgery he had the thing to measure how much or how fast he could breath in, I used to play with it.

23. Hpower

Hpower GO GATORS

Looking again at your original post it sounds like you have EIB, exercise induced bronchospasms or exercise induced asthma. You should go see a doctor about this they can give you something for it. I belive my brother has this same problem. I remember back in the day my dad saying something about him getting really red playing soccer and I have had him tell me before he thinks he looses his endurance really fast. After he moved in with me and started working out with me and running, he would be fine for most the cardio workouts but at the end he would have to stop and say he just couldn't breath. For awhile I thought ok he is just not in as good of shape as I am, but after a year he should be about the same as me. I had an albuterol inhaler my sister had for bronchitis and let my brother try it one time after a workout, he said he could instantly feel the difference. Another thing is working out hurts, when I am pushing myself hard everything hurts but I am assuming you know the difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.