Power help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sugerbear, Jul 14, 2004.

1. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

Ok im kinda a newb to car audio. I recently put in a 1000 watt amp with a 15in sub and another 120 watt amp going to some kickers. Everything has been going good for a while but last night i was bumping a little higher than normal and noticed that my lights dimmed when the bass hit. So basically i need to know how to get more power to my
    SUV so this doesn't happen and possibly add another amp to the mix. Any Ideas?

thanks

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

If you want to do it properly, get a new alternator from ohio gen, upgrade the 'big' three in your engine compartment (ground to battery, alternator to battery and i forgot the last one) After doing that you can run a second battery w/ solenoid.

T

PS, or you can run a cap which is just a band aid to your problems. FYI, when you push your alternator to 125% of its operating potential, possible damage can happen. A typical alternator will have a rating of 80amps or so, but a car needs around 60-70 amps just to function. A 1000watt amp with a RMS of 500 in theory will have an amp draw of 40 or so.

3. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

how much with that cost?
    and is there anyway it would draw enoff power to power a mini fridge?

4. BlackHBDX

BlackHBDX The grey fixer

First off, check all of your connections. Make sure the battery connections are not corroded. Second, what kind of battery do you have? How old is your battery? The reason I'm asking is because if you're using a several-year-old factory battery, that maybe your problem.

5. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

I have an up to date battery probley little over a year old and the connections are good. And it is a factory battery. I would like to be able to get enoff juice for another amp and possibley a mini fridge.

6. sugerbear

sugerbear New Member

7. cctyler

cctyler Mornin'

What size wire are you currently using? What size alternator do you have?
    Insure your factory grounds match or exceed the size of wire you are using for your amps. As posted above, make sure to do the big 3. Is your sub amp a class D, if not, its going to suck much more juice.

8. spydaman54

spydaman54 Guest

get two amps and a capisitor

9. 04

04 Guest

How would adding more amps help his problem? Do you mean batteries or something?

A capacitor could help with dimming lights, but thats about it.