Power Centers/Surge Protectors

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Monster makes some that I can get for like 170 off

http://www.monstercable.com/power/productPagePower.asp?pin=1021&LastPage=Reference Power

Thats the one I was looking, I was looking at the price and their stage 3 seems lighter than everything else I dont think that should be a concern but that just seems kind of weird to me.

For power related needs is there a better company to go with than monster?

(I know monster is pretty inflated but their tech specs are still pretty decent for the price on pricegrabber.com, which is about 232)

I would also be interested in looking for other power related products.

What kind of companies are worth looking at?

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Same one I got man. Its a great unit. I like it better than the new ones with the digital display. I got one of those things that detects line noise in outlets from my friend. I used it on the monster unit and there was like 1.9 units of noise compared to 100+ on my wall outlet. Main reason I bought it was b/c I got the unit for around $200 and I couldn't justify using a $40 surge strip on my system.

Edit...APC makes some units and so does Belkin under the name PureAV. The Belkin stuff is pretty decent, but lets more noise pass through the outlets. I tested my friends PureAV AVR unit and it was putting out something like 60 units of noise compared to the monster around 1.9. I haven't worked with the APC stuff but I know their computer equipment kicks ass.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Alright, looks like ill be going for the monster stuff

4. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I have tons of Monster stuff:ugh:

Good stuff when you get a hookup. :)
    APC makes some real nice shit, if you have the $$$

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

6. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Using one of those would be great for AV gear, but for protecting a big plasma/LCD/DLP TV or projector if you are downright pimp, i would look no further than a true ONLINE (not line-interactive) UPS. The conversion across the DC batts will result in a damn accurate 60hz signal and when the electric flashes it will keep your expensive shit from flashing on and off again real fast, should the power buck below what a conditioner will boost with its capacitor bank.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I dont have a big screen, just a 36-inch Toshiba.

8. Zylo

What are you protecting?

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

computer, monitor, and my audio gear

10. Zylo

IMO, a PC needs a UPS not a line conditioner. A line conditioner will protect the power supply, but a UPS will protect your data as well, both immediate and stored (HDD)

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im not really using the PC hook up for the line conditioning advantage, just my av gear. But it all sits next to each other so I figure why not.

12. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

I have a monster line conditioner/surge for audio components. For my LCD RPTV I have a UPS. The reason being that if we have a brown or black out the fan needs to run for a little to cool the lamp.