Potential new rider here. Few questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Triad, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Triad

Triad I deficate locomotives.

So I went down to my local Kawasaki dealer today (which had some of the WORST customer service) and sat on a couple bikes. They had the 2003-2004 models on the floor which is NOT what I would be getting for my first bike but I have warmed up alot to an older Ninja EX500. So I sat on the Ninja's to see where my comfort level would be: I'm a 220lb guy, 6'2 with no real previous riding experience.

The 250 felt way to small.
    The EX500 was cool.
    The RX/RZ-something (I think it was the 600cc model) I couldnt even get over the MASSIVE gas tank. It was a pretty trippy bike to sit on....deffinatly not for me.

I really liked the EX500 - it wasnt too big and it also didnt feel like I was sitting on a go ped either. I need to get into a MSF course around here and there is a 1995 EX500 in the local camera ads here I'd like to take a look at.

What other bikes should I be taking a look at? I really like the look of a sports bike.
    Thanks for reading.

2. castrolr1

castrolr1 Guest

hey man... i'll throw a few things at ya... if you like the feel of the ex500 go with it.. if this is your first bike, then i would suggest this... buy a used one and learn of it.. when you have become comfortable.. then go and get yourself a new bike.. maybe try a few of the 600s.. honda kawi.. yamaha or suzuki... either way you really can't go wrong. all of the newer bikes are great

3. Triad

Theres a 1995 EX500 I want to check out, got about 12k mi. on it and he wants 2k for it. I need to go look it over with a buddy of mine that rides. Here locally its about the best looking bike I can get used.

4. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Kawasaki:
    EX250
    EX500

Suzuki:
    GS500
    Katana 600
    SV650 (maybe)

Yamaha:
    YZF 600R

Honda:
    599 (maybe)

Any of these should be fine. If you've had some past riding experience, also look at the "maybe" ones.

5. Triad

Thanks Wolf. I check some of those out too. I don't want to get on a bike that "Feels" like its too powerful - you know what I mean?

6. big pappa pump

big pappa pump New Member

not to bag a 500 but unless you find one super cheap go with a good 600 like a cbr f2-f3,yzf600, 97-2000 gsxr 600, any zx6r except the 636( i got one of these and love it but might intimidate a squid). the reason i say this is because the you'll out grow the 500 pretty fast and then want to get something bigger. an older f2-f3 would be a great starter bike.

7. worth

worth Guest

:ugh:

It might intimidate a squid? :uh:

8. big pappa pump

big pappa pump New Member

yeah i had a 02 gsxr 6 and traded it in for the 636. the first time i went to some twisties it gave me a good scare and i had to get a steering dampner, later a friend of mine with a 954 and i were at a stoplight and just to have some fun i gunned it off the line and the front end started to lift, when it came down it did another little scare twitch. i've gotten use to it now but its still a beast waiting to be freed.

9. Triad