Potential New Mac User...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Element, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Element

Element OT Supporter

Okay so I have always been a PC user and I recently purchased a new Vista based Laptop, however I returned it asI couldn't get the majority of my programs to work correctly and I hated the interface, and how it slowed down the computer.

A PC is not absolutely necessary for me. I am looking for something that is light weight, powerful, and has a decent battery life. I have NEVER used a mac before, except back in the Apple IIe days.

Now I do have a few questions:

1) Are there good torrent sites out there for mac based software?

2) I do a lot of work processing and powerpoint presentations. I'm assuming I could "purchase" Office for mac and use it correct?

3) With leopard around the corner should I wait to purchase a mac?

4) I am considering just the regular Macbook and not the Macbook Pro, as I do not necessarily need a dedicated video card. Is the MBP woth the extra $$$?

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. integraMAHxC

integraMAHxC New Member

1) theres a few torrents available.. dont know of any sites dedicated to mac software

2) office for mac works fine.. new version is comin though, and wont b quite a pile of shit

3) wait for leopard and hopefully a product revision

4) im having the same problem, i love the black macbook, and i dont play games.. but i dont wanna shoot myself in the foot by not gettin the pro.. so im waitin 2 see w/ leopard and a product revision maybe the macbooks will get dedicated graphics like the ibooks.. love/hate relationship w/ apple.. awesome product, but for the money i dont wanna feel skimped..

3. Lord~Jerningham

Lord~Jerningham New Member

1) there is a decent selection of torrents out there, I haven't had any trouble finding what I need. Supposedly Oink has a good selection, if you can get yourself an invite to it.

2) Wait until Office 08 comes out. It'll be in UB, the 2004 Edition runs terribly slowly on the Intel Macs, as it was released prior to Apples switch to the x86 architecture.

3) You could wait for Leopard, i'd say it's relatively worth it, it won't be too much longer. Just my 2 cents.

4) If you have the cash, go for the Pro, why not.

4. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

1. Buy software, developers work hard on it.

2. Office works on Macintosh, yes.

3. No.

4. If you want the extra screen real estate, then yes, otherwise, no.

5. Element

Element OT Supporter

6. notwist

notwist Active Member

Looks good.