SRS Pot Smoker Here.....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AlexC927, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexC927

AlexC927 New Member

Pot Smoker Would like some input and(or) advice.....

Hi all,

I have been smoking pot now for about 9 years now.

It went from smoking occasionally to pretty much every day, several times a day.

I dabbled with other things but it was always casual and it never became a problem.

Today I'll have an occasional drink and I'll smoke weed maybe 5 times a week.

Some weeks I'll smoke a bit more and some weeks it will be maybe only once or twice for te entire week.

I work full time (at a great job that pays well), I go to school full time (junior at NYU...I never finished up my first time around and I'm 28 years old). I am well respected at my job (I'm the "go to guy" in operations and I've been moving up that ladder at a good pace.) I own a home and pay a mortgage (only 27 years to go!!). I have a great girlfriend who I plan to marry. I get good grades, I'm doing fairly well in life i suppose, my life is headed towards the right direction. I have a good relationship with my parents and friends. And most importantly, I don't see my pot usage as being detrimental to me in any way.

I don't do any other drugs ever and my friends call me "Two Beer Queer" due to my inability and unwillingess to get drunk.

I quit smoking cigarettes two years ago after having smoked heavily for 11 years.

So pot is my ONLY vice.

I plan on quitting smoking pot once I get married (in about two years) because I personally dont' want my kids to smoke pot plus the fact that my gf has requested that I quit once we're married.

But sometimes I wonder if I'm just kidding myself and if I'll ever quit. Some times I womder...what's wrong with a little pot. My life is going well...career, education, love life, finances and pot thus far has proven to not be detrimental at all for me. I'm still pulling straight A's too..

I think it's safe to say that I am a pot addict because I'll smoke AT LEAST two times in a one week period (two times basically means two sessions btw).

So basically I guess my question is....is pot a problem for me simply because I smoke every week even though it causes no harmful effects in my life?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  2. garbagemanlb

garbagemanlb OT Supporter

You all ready know the answer to your question, judging by your lengthy post; yes, it is fine.

As long as it doesn't interfere with your job/happiness/school/life, then smoking pot is fine, in my opinion.

At the same time, don't fool yourself about the health risks associated with it (I speak mainly of lung cancer). Smoking isn't a natural act, and there are negative side effects. As long as you're honest with yourself about that, then there is no problem.

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Addiction is not defined by frequency. I cannot tell you whether you are an addict, only you know that. If it is causing problems in any of your relationships or your life in general, that may be a sign of addiction. I know people who smoke pot, and aren't addicts, my own father included. Read our definition of "Who is an addict" in the stickies. It sounds to me like you wouldn't qualify, but that's a decision for you to make.
    We can't really make decisions for you, that's your own personal choice. No, frequency does not determine whether something is a problem or not. Just remember that pot is still illegal in the US. This forum isn't about moderating, it's for helping drug addicts ... many of whom have already tried medicine, religion and psychiatry for their drug problems. If you can moderate, good for you, but we cannot provide help for those who are not drug addicts like us.

4. AlexC927

AlexC927 New Member

hmmm.....my apologies if this post isn't in accordance with forum guidelines....

thanks for your replies..

5. Atlas

Atlas New Member

If it's something you feel needs to be changed, then you should do so, regardless of whether it's a clinical addiction or not. One thing I feel I should comment on is the idea of quitting once you're married, or any other such landmark that you've set for yourself. In my experience such a goal sets people up for failure because they rationalize that they don't have to quit just YET, then once the date comes, they're just going to do it a few more times (say, until their current supply runs out), then try to rationalize that there's no point in quitting, it's harmless, etc.

There are risks associated with it, but regardless it's a personal decision. However, while it may not be a total deal breaker, it may strain your relationship (judging by the fact that she requests that you stop). Decide which is more important, her or pot? This may sound like a ludicrous ultimatum, but why add to the already present stress that marriage and family holds?

I wish you luck by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.