posture exercises?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GuOD, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i've had horrible posture my whole life... :sadwavey: decided it's time to do something about it. i hunch over with my shoulders forward.

i walked around all day for 2 days straight and my traps area killed worse than any workout i've ever had... it was excrutiating :wtc:

any tips? I try to pull my shoulders back but it's just awkward for me.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Inside-Out dvd has a lot of great stuff for spinal mobility and scapular stability/mobility.

50 bucks (usd) but it's totally worth it.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

oh, and this > *

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252

particularly what you should know is that the most important muscle in pulling the scapulae back into the "good posture" position is the lower traps. Once you know how to flex them, try doing it for all your exercises, and you'll see how much better your shoulders feel during push presses or shoulder presses, bench, etc. At least I did.

4. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i read awhile ago if you bench and don't do back you can run into problems like this... but this is from when I first hit puberty and grew

i think my back is stronger than my chest anyway :dunno:

5. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

thanks for the t-nation link. i'm exhausted so i'll read it tomorrow.

basically it doesn't look like i have traps at all (partly because i don't and partly because my posture sucks, when i pull my shoulders back i see traps)

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I think I'm this way because of two things

1) I've lived a lifestyle for the past 5 years where I've been on the computer a lot... leads to saggy shoulders and kyphosis
    2) I've never really known how to straighten my posture... people would tell me to stand up straighter when I was little, but I'd just make my spine even more kyphotic by leaning back from the lumbar area and cocking my shoulders up with my upper traps... nobody ever told me that was improper posture so I never learned...

it's still a battle to stand straight every day... but I've only been at it for 5 months and I really am not going hard enough on the postural training as I should. Either way I'm way better than when I had started.

7. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I row/deadlift often and can do a few widegrip pullups at least I think. don't ever do pushups

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd: I saw a physical therapist and he said my biggest problem is that I have really tight pecs and lats, and really loose lower traps and mid-back muscles...

Basically he gave me 5 different pec stretches and a few lat stretches, and told me to keep doing my foam roller and exercise techniques... I haven't done any of the stretches he showed me since a week after our meeting (months ago) :o

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

they're great for your shoulder stability... you'll read all about it in the t-nation link.

10. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I easily spend like 10+ hours a day sitting (just finished 4 years of university) and i sit with AWFUL posture at my computer :hsd:

i have the same problem.. when i try to pull my shoulders back I get all stiff and awkward... i need someone to actually show me the position to be in :dunno: i'm anxious to read the t-nation article.

i remember in Hs a friend had a metal bar attached to his back to keep his posture straight or something :coolugh:

11. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

quickly skimmed it now...

i seldom do shrugs... i do overhead shrugs more often :dunno:

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yeah... you'll be surprised to find out that your shoulder positioning has more to do with your spine than any back muscles holding your shoulder back... and your spinal posture has a lot to do with your hips...

I've just realized this, and now I'm making way better progress in the last few weeks with focusing on posture starting at the hips... in fact, more progress than I made after months of training my upper back muscles for shoulder positioning.

13. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I definiltey have a hip problem. I have a distended stomach when I rest and my lower back archs in awkwardly... I can sort of tilt my hips and improve it

o well off to bed. thanks guys i'll do some more research tomorrow. i'm gonna post vids next week so you can all see my bad posture and weak lifts :o

14. 97_ESi

97_ESi New Member

Horrible posture crew sign in :wavey:

I got same problems the guys listed above. However I also have another annoying posture/small size related problem....pencil neck. But not only do I have a tiny neck, the back of my neck lurches forward - the side profile of my head and neck look funny because of it, neck bends in then the head bulges out. If I try to force my neck out I can feel a long muscles in the back center of my neck bulge out but its tough to hold for long and there is no girth to the rest of the back of my neck - just a stretched muscle. Anyway to go about fixing the neck size? I'm hoping reading/doing the above advice and articles will help with the neck and shoulder posture.

Sorry for babbling, hopefully someone can understand the dilemma, I can mspaint a picture if necessary.

15. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

age of empires posture crew sign in :wiggle:

16. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

are you small boned ?

I find that people with large bones have big necks.

17. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

strengthen back and core.

18. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

:werd:

When I started lifting weights, I had a horribly weak upper back and traps.

Actually my whole back in general was weak.

I also had bad posture.

What I found initially was I would use way too much weight on exercises that hit the upper back muscles (like shoulder presses and shrugs).

I finally made progress when I GOT OVER MYSELF and started using low weights and focusing on my form.

I don't care how low you have to go. Focus on your form.

I now have good posture. These are the exercises I do that I feel have contributed:

upright rows

face pulls

db overhead press and bb military press with shoulders pulled back into the proper position. go as light as necessary, forget your ego

deadlifts

hanging clean and press. again, go light and focus on the form. I seriously couldn't even get into the proper starting position with my shoulders back when i began these because i was so weak.

rows with the shoulders pulled back

realize that any time you do any of these exercises with your shoulders forward, you aren't helping yourself one bit

I still consider this to be my weakest point (along with delts), but i've made tremendous strides since i began.

I can remember doing skullcrushers and not being able to get my head onto the bench because my upper back was so weak. I would do skullcrushers and only get sore in my traps because I was so weak and they were getting worn out just from trying to stabilize the weight.

19. benny196

benny196 New Member

look up neanderthal on t-nation and there are a whole series of articles about posture

20. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

In.

Anyone seeing noticeable results from the posture exercises? How bout some progress pics?

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I've learned to control my lumbar area very well and, during exercise, retract my shoulder places into the proper position so that my shoulders have proper range of motion... but without consciously holding my lower abs and glutes tight, tuck my chin, and pull my shoulders back and down, it still looks shitty (albeit much better than before... aka 4-5 months ago).

edit:

here's a neanderthal article from t-nation, these are new to me so i'm reading it with a great passion at th emoment

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=314nean2

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.