MIL Post your questions about flying for the Air Force in here...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SweetDaddyO, Aug 16, 2005.

1. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

and i'll probably be able to give you a decent answer.

i'm a rated Air Force Navigator who just completed JSUNT (Joint Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training), as well as the Electronic Warfare School.

i was a AFROTC grad, so i've experienced everything from the selection process for nav/pilot, to the training pipeline for strike navigators down in Pensacola, as well as the EWO school at Randolph AFB (I'm also familiar with the new CSO program if you've heard of that). I'm leaving next month to fly B-1Bs out of Dyess AFB.

i have plenty of friends who are pilots, so i can get your UPT answers as well, and since the training here at P-Cola is joint, i have a good understanding of Navy and Marine Corps flight training as well.

please note that my answers and advice do not speak for the Air Force - i will always try to give you good info and if i can't, i'll either let you know or redirect your question to someone in the know.

so with that said, any questions?

2. TylerTX

TylerTX :noes:

how loud is it in a B1 on full afterburner for the pilot? Also, for a f/18 or similar.

3. SweetDaddyO

not that loud, considering the pilots wear helmets and the engines are mounted well aft of them. everyone's connected via intercom as well, so hearing the bells and whistles, as well as the other crewmembers, isn't usually a problem.

quick edit - on the ground is a different story. B-1s are one of the loudest aircraft we have, even without afterburner. in iraq and afghanistan, they sometimes use B-1s flying at very low levels in full afterburner to get rowdy crowds and protesters to disperse. it's a non-violent way to control crowds, and it would put the fear of god into anyone who happened to be standing there.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  4. SupraTFassa

SupraTFassa New Member

Have fun at Dyess, that place is a shithole. also, be prepared to break a plane everytime you climb into one. not sure what u actually know about B-1s yet but they don't like to fly on a regular basis.:o

5. Lat

Lat New Member

What are the requirements in order to become a pilot in the Air Force?

6. SweetDaddyO

http://www.csufresno.edu/afrotc/cgi-bin/template.cgi?pilotnavinfo.html

there's some really good info on that site that seems to be completely up to date (as of 28 jul 05). answers most of the basic questions.

one thing i'll throw in here...people get all caught up in the physical requirements, and whether or not they qualify with their eyesight, etc. that is stuff you just can't control. what you can control are your grades, your physical fitness scores, and your attitude - and those three things go a lot farther for you than 20/20 vision.

there is a waiver for everything in the air force, and eye surgery restrictions are beginning to loosen. i know a few people, both pilots and navigators, who have had surgery - in fact, i'm hoping to get that soon myself.

7. Isamu

Isamu New Member

two things, I am currently an Avionics troop for AFSOC, and i am working toward my degree so i can become a pilot.. it's tough, but it is awesome..
    and the second thing is, the B1-B is EXTREMLY loud... the loudest spot is 45degrees behind the engines... but it doesn't matter were you are it's loud, we were sitting ontop of a C-130P doing some work, and when the B1-B took off, not even full AB it shook some tools off.. and having flown in an F-14...which is only a little louder then an 18... it's not so bad in the cockpit..