GUN post your cleaning techniques/tools/chems

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by dpixel8, Aug 17, 2009.

1. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

want to see if I am up-to-date and if I need anything different. was reading about some of the carcinogens the other day and thinking of getting something new. also I use brass rods for cleaning the barrels. thinking of getting some of those weighted drop thingy with the "rope" at the end.

advise

2. For my AR... Gun Butter, Boresnake, q-tips, chamber brush, rags.

Glock... q-tips, Gun Butter, rags, Boresnake.

.223AI... I haven't cleaned it yet.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

bore snake, that's what it is. you get one for each caliber? i'd have to get like 5 :rofl:

gun butter lubes and cleans?

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Bolt guns.... nothing. I run moly, and don't touch a fucking thing until something weird happens (which is pretty rare). Then I might take a patch of Kroil and run it through the barrel with a tipton one-piece rod and a bore guide. Might hose out the action/trigger with BreakFree once in awhile too, but thats its.

Pistols... I'm still trying to figure out what is the least I can do to get by. Haven't touched the bores yet, action gets scrubbed out every once in awhile, then I apply some SlideGlide and this "LiquidGunsmith" shit that someone sent me on the internals.

5. I have about 8 boresnakes.

6. phrozen, what do you do with the bolt after a firing session? I just wipe mine down and make sure there's not debris on the bolt face, then put a small amount of lube on the lugs.

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Those bore-snakes always scared the fuck outta me, but then again I have an aversion to ramming shit down my holiest of holys.

One piece rod, coated, bore-guide if you can. If everything is shooting fine, then why fuck with it? Do you wipe your ass before you shit?

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I just get annoyed when I take a friend or friends out to shoot (my ammo of course) and we shoot every fucking caliber and too many guns and I end up cleaning a few and let them sit. just takes forever when there are so many. ugh

9. For the record, I wouldn't use a boresnake on my 700.

10. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

don't they slide pretty tight, or are is the weight a lot smaller?

11. I don't understand that which you are trying to ask.

12. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Cleaning brush, cleaning rod, powder blaster, CLP

13. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

so it's not bouncing around. i've not seen one in person so I cant get a sense of the scale. you wouldn't want that weight bouncing around in the barrel, correct?

14. The weight is just made of brass, and the incidental contact it makes as it is fed through the barrel by hand wouldn't do anything harmful at all to the barrel. My reason is that if I'm cleaning the barrel of a precision rifle, I want to be able to control exactly what goes in and comes out of the barrel. With a patch I know that I'm not leaving any fouling in the barrel that was stuck to a boresnake before, and I can see the results of my cleaning on the patch. You really can't see anything on a boresnake. Anyways, bolt gun barrels need to be cleaned pretty infrequently, so it's not a big deal to run a few patches down it when it does need to be cleaned.

15. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

oh always on the patches. i just was curious.

16. Mainly it's just not wanting to introduce more crap into the barrel.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Pretty much same. Don't usually have a problem there, but I am guilty of spraying/cleaning out my action 10x more than my barrel. Usually keep the face relatively clean, and make sure there isn't any shit holding back the extractor.

The weight doesn't bother me nearly as much as the thought of a shit soaked piece of fabric scratching through my bore, but I'll admit I have used them in AK's and other stuff like that.

18. SNDP

SNDP New Member

these are all real men need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The new trendy thing is to not clean your barrel unless you notice a decrease in accuracy. The idea is more barrel life because cleaning is suppose to wear out the barrel more than shooting. I myself have a hard time believeing cleaning is more harmful than shooting or that it even puts that much wear on a barrel though I can imagine if you clean it way too much and way too often like anything else excess is bad.

I myself clean my guns. I admit I am lazy and sometimes this means a quick wipe down, bore snake though the barrel and a few shots of lube before a match. When I do clean (mostly for big matches or if there is somebody there particular that needs a ass kicking) I run a rod, w/ brushes and patches. The new trendy thing to say is never use a brush but if you shoot a lot like I do they do pull out a lot of crud. If I've been lazy for several matches the brush comes out for a few passes.

I pretty much rebarrel every 2 years so I have accepted that as barrel life on any serious competition gun. Really not worried about wearing it out with cleaning but I am concerned about as much mechanical accuracy as possible.

I did a cleaning write up, it's in the archives.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3886382

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't understand why the in depth scrubbing is necessary if you're not trying to fix reliability or accuracy problems. Why fuck with your bore for no benefit? Damage potential aside, it just seems like a waste of time.

Personally I keep it simple. The ar's get a chamber brush and a boresnake with clp. Everything gets wiped out with blue shop towels and brake parts cleaner. Handguns get some clp or hoppes on toothbrush run around down the rails and inside the gun and a few patches of clp or hoppes every few times out . Mobil 1 grease gets put on slide rails, barrel hoods, and sears. A drop of clp goes into pivoting friction points.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

Every time Mike Galloway comes up to Washington, we shoot together. He's the owner of Shuemann Barrels and is a SME in the field. I can't even keep up with him when he talks barrel science, I just nod my head, lol.

How he explained it makes a lot of sense regarding cleaning your barrel. All I ever do is push a patch down the barrel a few times and check for leading.

The barrel over time changes, and eventually the hardness of a brush becomes harder than the rifling of the barrel. Repeated cleaning puts scratches on the barrel rifling. Scratches that some of the barrel cleaning solution gets into and eventually erodes.

I use a vinyl brush every once in a while.

I have not found any ill effect to accuracy that I can attribute to barrel cleanliness and I've got a couple of high round count pistols. Until that becomes an issue I'll continue with my minimalist approach to barrel cleaning.

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Interesting. So he thinks that the actual hardness decreases via almost an inverse of sorts through "work hardening"? I'm sure it obviously goes much deeper than that (to the point where that analogy probably is false), but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

I can see the stress cracks/tiny abrasions leading to larger openings with time/solvent/etc, which is why I've been interested in 3 groove rifle setups (larger lands, via less grooves) holding up better over time. Wonder if he has an opinion there?

Man, would love to pick that guys brain and just listen to him drop knowledge for a night. Pistol stuff always seemed odd to me, coming from the rifle world, as there is such a different MO in regards to various components and ideology.

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i use boresnakes and CLP

24. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Depends on the firearm.

Lately I've been shooting my old 7.62 IDF converted Mauser and the barrel is slowly getting better. I have a gunsmith's brush with Hoppes Elite bore cleaner and give it a few pulls back and forth, then I run some patches until it's clean and repeat. I put a little oil down there as well (Usually M-Pro 7).

My rifles with new barrels, I run a patch of Hoppes Elite down the tube and let it sit. Then I run a few dry patches until it's clean and oil.

Corrosive ammunition I first run Birchwood Casey muzzle magic through the bore several times, then a few dry patches. Then I follow with standard cleaning with just Hoppes and patches.

On all my bolt-actions I run GI Plastilube or other grease on the bolt bodies, in my AR I use M Pro 7.

Handguns I usually run patches and maybe a nylon brush if I've run lead rounds through them, I normally use foaming bore cleaner for handguns because it's easy and they rarely get that dirty.

25. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

boresnakes, lcp, and an otis cleaning kit (brush, carbon scraper, patch cable)