GUN post your cleaning kits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by no7fish, May 14, 2007.

1. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Hey guys, I have always had a little pile of random cleaning stuff but never anything that would really be classed as a "kit"

I recently got my HK back from being on loan to a friend and along with it he gave me it's kit. He apparently puts together a ziploc for each weapon with a small can of the relavent lube (in this case break-free), a boresnake, couple patches, whatever, and labels it.

I have never been this organized but I know others use a single box containing all of their cleaning supplies. Anyway, I'm just curious what everyone's strategy is and what sort of supplies they use.

SO, without further undue ado, please post your sheeat!

(pics would be nice but a description will work. Also, please include some reference as to what weapons or weapon types you are cleaning with said kit)

Thanks!

2. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Hoppe's #9 solvent, CLP break free, super-tech non chlorinated brake cleaner, Hoppe's lubricating oil, bore snakes in .22lr 9mm and .45. Various brushes in both stiff nylon and bronze, an old traveler's toothbrush, lint free patches a plenty, rags from tshirts, silicone impregnated cloths, jeebus that's a lot. I most commonly use my boresnakes, the clp, and the silicone cloths.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

50ammocanfullofvariouscrap.jpg

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I use Wipe-Out foaming cleaner, Butch's Bore Shine, Shooter's Choice Xtreme Clean, or Kroil with Tipton CF rods and Butch's patches and CLP for lube :dunno:

5. t1h

t1h Guest

i've got a $10 patch and brass rod cleaning kit with cleaner/solvent and oil from walmart, and a $25 bore snake kit. i don't really like the bore snake kit though.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Hoppes 9 solvent, Break-Free, Pro-Tech oil, Hoppes oil (bolt action, and single shot rifles), Gunslick Foaming Bore cleaner, patches, single-piece cleaning rod with bore guide, brass brushes in all my calibers, brass jags in most of my calibers, gunsmithing mallet and punch set, and my toolbox with everything else in it.

7. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Foaming copper & lead solvent followed by patches with CLP or #9 for barrels. Non-chlorinated brake cleaner followed by compressed air for frames and slides.

A few drops of oil and a few globs of Slide-Glide in the right places for final lube.

8. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

Nothing fancy. Not pictured are the Remoil wipes.

[​IMG]

9. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Hoppes #9 solvent, Hoppes #9 Lubricating oil, Blue Wonder Gun cleaner, Boresnake in .4?? and .17 cal.

10. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Wow you guys use a lot of shit.

Me, I'm pretty simple I guess..

Break Free CLP
    Patches for calibers
    OTIS cleaning kit.
    Those small rods for pistol barrels.

That's it. :dunno:

Oh yeah, lots of old shirts.

11. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

kinda a cool thing. Got stuff for everything
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Plus some solvents, Boresnakes, silicoen cloth, lubes,

12. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I've got a generic handgun and shotgun cleaning kit, then a Remington brand cleaning kit for rifles of all calibers.

13. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

Can someone point me in the right direction, such as a video or website, that shows the proper way to clean an AK. I just got my AK-74 WASR 2 today, put 60 rounds through it, and cant find anything online as to how to clean the son of a bitch. :dunno:

14. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Cleaning is evidently optional with AKs... :hsugh:

I clean it like any other firearm. Field strip it. Run a bore brush through the barrel several times, followed by a cleaning rod (the included one works just fine) with patches soaked in solvent (just such an attachment is in the included kit in the buttstock), followed by a dry patch to soak up any remaining solvent. Clean off working surfaces with power solvent then wipe down said surfaces to remove solvent. Apply a light coat gun oil of some sort to all working surfaces and the barrell. Work action several times. Wipe off any excess. Done.

Someone else might have a better routine, but my WASR-10 was cheap, and I'm gambling on its alleged durability rather than babying it with excessive maintenance.

Courtesy Life Liberty Etc and weaponvideos.org - a howto on field stripping :
    http://www.weaponvideos.org/viewvideo/96/How_to_field_strip_an_ak47/

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  15. Daiz4yota

Daiz4yota OT's ENT/Facial Plastics MD OT Supporter

Thanks man, I appreciate. So do I just run the bore brush through the barrel, and unscrew it and pull the brush through the other end? Or should I just pull it back out? Also, I just push a solvent sheet through the barrel and pull it out the other end? Here is a pic of the piece of shit cleaning kit that came with the rifle. I dont even know what the other 2 pieces are for, besides the brush.
    [​IMG]

16. mvizos

mvizos New Member

:bowdown:

That thing looks AWESOME. I may have to pick one of those up, simply to have a giant shotgun shell sitting in the room.

17. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

The wife saw that in the CTD catalog, I think it's gonna be one of my birthday presents because when I went to order it she said to just be patient.

18. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I picked up a hoppes kit at meijer on clearance for 4 bucks. I'll post pictures in a while.

19. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

oh its great for that, its sitting on my desk

I love that it says Big Shot. The price was great too. I think i got it from sportsmans guide.

Plus its pretty universal with jags and everything.

20. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

21. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The bore brush in the cleaning kit is ... how to put this ... a piece of shit. Better than nothing, but that's not saying a lot. But I guess there are millions of AKs in the field cleaned with that very kit, so up to you. The other tools you have there are a patch attachment for the built-in cleaning rod and a center punch or takedown tool. Surprising that you didn't get a front sight adjustment tool. The only thing you really need in addition to the kit is cleaning patches, powder solvent, paper towels/rags/something more absorbent than cleaning patches for bulk surface cleaning, and gun oil.

For about $10-$20 total outlay, you can get a universal rifle cleaning rod and bronze bore brush (additional bore brushes for any caliber will run you about $2). Or you could get a .30 caliber rifle cleaning kit for about the same price complete with everything you need. Outer's makes inexpensive kits that will do the job and accept every flavor of bore brush imaginable. I would recommend buying a kit - the rifle kits seem to standardize on the 3-piece rods that can double as a pistol kit with just the first segment/handle.

Anyway - run the bore brush up and down both ways several times. You may want to dip it in power solvent the first time so you can really loosen any stubborn deposits. Without some rigorous bore-brush action, it's going to take a while to remove powder/lead/etc deposits.

A kit will include some decent general instructions.

22. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

DO NOT use steel rods at all costs. They are made of a material similar in hardness to your barrel This can cause counter boring and is a nono. Always use a brass or similar rod.
    Ive got a Remington cleaning kit from Walmart that siuts me just fine. That and I got a whole bunch of canvas type cleaning patches for .30 calibers. (Great for a garand, mosin, sks, or ak)

23. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

multi-piece rods = :ugh:

24. no7fish

no7fish New Member

Wow, thanks for all the input guys!!

I'm kind of trying to get some organization now with having bought a house, I'm devoting a whole room to guns/project/etc! It's exciting for me... I can set up my soldering stuff, my secondary PC, my reloading stuff, my safe (which I have yet to purchase.. if anyone knows a deal floating around on one!) and so on and on....

Anyway, point is, since I have room to get my crap in order I wanted to figure out how to stock a nice cleaning kit to live on/next to my reloading table. Thanks for the help!

25. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

for an ak shouldn't you just take the wood off (if you want to work at it) and throw it in a barrel of gasoline for a day or so? or just spray it down with a hose?

I have a cleaning kit in a ammo box for at home. Through a process of time I have gotten everything I need in there, and in order of how I use it. I do need to get some different types of lubes and some foaming cleaner.

For the field I ususally use a boresnake if I am going to do anything. Alot of rimfire guys swear by the patchworm, and I may pick one of those up, they are cheap.

I need to find a good place to clean though. My shop bench is taken up with reloading and electronics stuff, and the garage doesnt have a workbench, if it did it would be full of car parts. Usually I end up cleaning on my desk, which makes my room smell funny, plus I have to move everything, or the tablesaw, which I'm just not that fond of.