Post reasons why GM doesn't SUCK

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jskrible_Gskrible, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Go ahead, I have a few reasons why they do:

Cavalier
    Sunfire
    Most cadillacs
    170+ recalls on nearly all 2000 model vehicles
    Firebird/camaro interiors
    Firebird/camaro doors sag after time

I'm not going to drone on and cause a big argument, but what actually makes GM (chevy/pontiac spec.) better than ford? The LS1 is not the end-all-be-all of engines, either.

2. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Well....which one has more market share? Ford or GM? There's your answer.

3. Possum Stomper

Possum Stomper The Great Bird of the Galaxy

i don't think the idea is to compare, merely point out the suckiness, which itself is contrary to the thread title

GM's engine and driveline choices impress me the most

4. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

GM = Saab, which I think is a great brand (besides their new "WRX" bull shit)

Hummer seems to be more popular now than ever, although I'm far from a fan of their faggy H2.

The new C6 is just a beast, and its not a bad price for what you're getting either.

5. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Here is a reason I think is worth noting....
    Limited Production GM Vehicles generally are worth quite a bit of money *GNX, '89 Turbo Trans-Am, Older GM Muscle Cars ('70 Chevelle SS 454 LS6 Convert, '69 Z/28, '69 ZL1, Buick GS Stage 1, Typhoon/Cyclone, new GTO?, etc. etc.*

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Good point(s) until you got there. The new GTO can be picked up for mere pocket change now. Maybe the '05 version will be another story. Didn't even think of the Sy/Ty's though.....excellent potential there.

7. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Yeah, I forgot one thing about it that the others don't have, the prices usually start going up after 10+ years ago like the Sy/Ty's and the other ones listed, they usually drop pretty quickly but once the rarity and what not starts coming into factor then they start going up, the ZL1 and the LS6 SS are examples of that, I know the LS6 SS is $200,000+ now ZL1 just as much if not more and considering they were Sub $10,000 cars, not a bad investment..... $190,000 profit....

8. Faster doesn't really equate to being a better car overall. Although in the 80's they were pretty much head to head, and late 60's the top models were pretty much the same as well. It's only in '95 did the mustang really start to suck ass, the '99 revived itself a good bit with 260hp and a 14.0/14.1 quarter mile, with 60 less hp than a camaro/firebird.

The new Mach 1 beats/matches the GTO with 50 less hp in the quarter, and even from pontiacperformance.com they mention that the mach 1 has superior handling.

However, I'm not comparing suckiness on performance basis, but rather maintenance and repairs needed. Although everyone deals with cars that end up being p.o.s.'s and has a general idea built around what their friends may have or exagerated about, I like cold hard facts. And one fact is that Ford has 1/3rd the recalls chevy/pontiac does for any year model car. from www.alldata.com .

9. Mustang007

Mustang007 Guest

I like the GTP alot. I was thinking about trading in my Stang for one but I decided not to cause my brother is buying one soon. Overall I think GM is great. And the Z06 owns all

10. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

11. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

I agree my 87 Camaro interior was much much nicer than an 87-88-89-90 Mustang interior. Any tight suspension car will have rattles and creaks in time, don't even try to say that the mustang doesn't rattle and creak. My Camaro had auto diming rear view, 8-way power seats, trip & oil meter on strip of roof between t-tops, removable fash light behind the map light on roof again. It had 50 times the features than the mustang did. :bowdown:

Also GM's are much easier to work on compared to Fords hands down.

12. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

I couldn't ask for a better car than the chevys I've owned. I doubt I got lucky, it's just that they were awesome cars. I now have a Buick and it has had one recall for a really ridicilous thing I can't even remember it. If I was busy at the time I wouldn't have even brought it in it was so minor.

Also all the Ford worshipers should realize that the previous F-150 was THE MOST DANGEROUS VEHICLE ON THE ROAD according to the US DOT.

13. http://www.nzmustang.com/History/BOSS429.htm

12.3/113mph and sub 12 second quarters
    "This car was trailered around the country successfully taking on all-comers with blistering sub 12 second quarters."

Imho the mustang looks better too.

Fairlane T-Bolt made 11.7's as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  14. Possum Stomper

fine, since this is going to degenerate into a stupid Ford vs. Chevy war anyways...

my 94 Firebird Formula was the worst car i have ever had the displeasure of driving, never reliable, expensive, tempermental and finicky, and all in all way more trouble than it was ever worth

in contrast, my 89 mustang with way more miles never gave me a lick of trouble, the 00 GT in the family has never given us any trouble whatsoever (somethign that cannot be said for my friends' two LS1 Fbods) and neither has the 00 Expedition we have
    all the fords in my life have been rock solid and totally dependable

...so take that :wiggle:

15. Possum Stomper

and as far as Mustangs vs Fbods since 93 is concerned, i give GM the nod there with exception of the years 96 to 97

every official magazine i have ever read reported the top models from each manufacturer to be more or less equal in all performance categories, stock for stock

16. Butz

Butz Guest

Well you have the CTS,XLR,SRX, the Escalade and the new STS..

you also have the GTO (though it looks bland)

you've got Holden and SAAB.. and you've got the Buicks especially the new LaCrosse..

And of course the Lemans and Daytona winner the Corvette..

17. The high-end cadillac brand, a GTO which is beat by a mach 1 mustang (pre '05) and SAAB? Sweddish p.o.s.

18. emilio

emilio Guest

I don't read these forums very much and reading this thread helps me remember why...

19. 02SS

02SS New Member

what are you talking about. my camaro interior >* :ugh: there is one big mistake but wait till the new ones come out and you'll see a huge interior upgrade (GTO for instance)

20. As far as the interior goes, mustang wins.

[​IMG] >>>> [​IMG]

21. MYSLOWLS1Z

MYSLOWLS1Z New Member

Sorry, but they're equally crappy.

22. Gai

Gai New Member

GTO...interior is the best ever.

(I hated the electric windows on my 4th gen F Body though...so sloooooooow and sounded like they would never make it up).

23. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

My last car was an '01 Mustang GT, my current car is a '02 Z28. I don't hate on Ford, or GM...so here is my unbiased opinion.

Mustang -
    Good: had a much better interior, seemed to be built more solidly. Leather was nicer, power seats, and windows worked better, and stock Mach 460 6-disc stereo was pretty nice.

Bad: Just didn't have the power! They aren't slow cars, but it's not something I would really consider a performance car either. Transmission and shifter felt sloppy compared to the Camaro. Gets worse gas mileage, with less power than the LS1

Camaro -
    Good: LS1 engine is simply a beast, this car dynoed at 317rwhp with nothing but a catback and a lid. Not bad for a car rated at 310 at the flywheel! 6-speed tranny, and the factory Hurst shifter are about as good as you can get in this price range. I've been able to consistently pull 25-27mpg from this car. Simply walks all over the Mustang when it comes down to pure performance.

Bad: The interior does suck! Lots of squeaks and rattles. Power windows are slow as hell, leather is cheap quality, and the Monsoon sound system is nothing to brag about.

As far as handling goes, I call that one even. The Mustang seemed more stable through tight twisties and at slower speeds, but didn't seem nearly as balance at higher speeds. The Camaro was the opposite. Not quite as nice around town, but at high speeds it feels like your glued to the road.

I didn't have any mechanical problems with either car...so I call reliability a draw based on my experience.

If your looking at the overall car, I think the Mustang is better, but if you want performance, the Camaro is the right choice. As much as I liked the Mustang, I have MUCH more fun in my Camaro and have never regretted trading the Mustang for it.

24. Yes, yes they are. However I'd take the mustang's interior first.

25. Celica interior > *

[​IMG]>>>>>[​IMG]