A&P post processing

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by 00soul, May 13, 2006.

1. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

why is it looked down upon :dunno:

i'm not talking about totally altering a pic, shit like adding a teddy bear in a childs hand and changing the night sky into a sunset, etc...

cropping and making minor adjustments in exposure and contrast is okay with me. i don't see anything wrong with it.

in a film darkroom there are things you can do to enhance the picture after it's been taken (longer exposure time, filters, dodging/burning).

:hs:

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

changing a night sky to a sunset or photoshopping in a teddy bear isn't totally altering a pic? :hsugh:

3. 00soul

yes, it is...maybe i wrote that wrong

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

ah ok no I just misread it :o

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

This is one of the benefits of digital, which is the infinite amount of flexibility you have with graphic programs. Fck anyone who thinks a photographer isn't allowed to use PP to get desired results from a camera. In fact, it's required since photos straight out of the box are lackluster, especially in RAW.

6. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

only homos that have no clue or suck at PP say this

7. mandarin orange

mandarin orange OT Supporter

i think PP fine. i think 90% of the pictures people take need PP to improve them.

8. joy division

joy division New Member

:werd:

Go look at ansel adams post processing, half of his work completely changes from what I looked like straight from the camera...I fucking hate ansel adams but that is just an example.

9. 00soul

:werd: my photography teacher showed us a slide where it shows each step from a stright negative print to the final product...it was a vast improvement.

10. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

11. joy division

joy division New Member

and post processing doesnt equal image - auto contrast image - auto levels...or putting an S curve and sharpness +2.

I can spend literally hours on something...probably infinite amount of time on some shots. Once you learn alot about photoshop, there is no limit..the same goes for in the darkroom...only for me- photoshop = less money, less time...film is more hands on, and that is all I envy.

12. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

Levels, curves, cropping, colour balance, unsharp mask, dodge/burn etc.. are all exactly the same techniques as used in film for decades. Except with digital it's now easy.

Clone stamp and healing tool can also be used just like a spotting brush and ink to remove minor defects from an image. You can also make gross alterations but that's your choice.

Even if you go to a mini lab with a roll of film they will change your exposure and colour balance before printing the shots. Post-processing is done for a reason. You obviously want to get the shot as good as possible in-camera but PP can take it that extra little bit. I shot at my sister's wedding (we had a pro as well) and the shots looked great out of the camera. Once I had tweaked them in PS they looked stunning.

13. natelam

natelam New Member

It's people like Cartier Bressant and all the Leica toting wannabe photojournalists that preach that idealogy heavily. Part of the joy of photography is using ALL your skills, not just what the camera can do, but what you as an photographer, and an artist, can ultimately produce. I won't disagree that a photograph should be taken properly with much contemplation and motivation for each frame and press of the shutter...however I will even venture to say that post processing is an art form on its own, and should be respected as such.

One thing is certain though - there are 3 kinds of post processors - those who do it because they can (ooh let's make this sepia, the sky should be bluer than 2000 flushes, LENS FLARE!!), those who do it to correct (well I don't need to pay attention to exposure or the white balance, I'll just shoot in RAW and PS later) and those who do it to sincerely enrich an image. Sometimes being the second is inevitable, but strive to be the third.

14. viva hate

viva hate Guest

Who is it that is looking down on post processing ?

Every professionally taken photograph that you see in a magazine, on a billboard or in an exhibition etc. has undergone post processing. Often extensive post processing.

Prior to digital imaging what a printer did was in effect post processing.
    Many pro photographers still shoot tranny or neg and then scan the images they want.
    The same visual skills in viewing colour, contrast etc. are used regardless of whether it is digital work or analogue. If you don't have those visual skills, an eye if you like, then it wont matter what sort of whiz bang hardware or software you use, what you produce will be at best mediocre.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2006
  15. 00soul

on messageboards, i often see people saying stuff like "no PP besides resize and boarders" or "i don't even photoshop" or "stright from camera"...it gets annoying :hs:

16. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

not as annoying as their bland photos :eek3: I sometimes PP other peoples photos and some noobs always make comments how they prefer the original (which is real shitty).