A&P Post Processing - textures, cross processing, etc

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Creator, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I was just reading this blog:
    http://www.f1point0.com/2008/06/20/post-processing/

And he says

’ve started building a texture library, and plan on playing with incorporating textures into some of my work. I’m also experimenting with cross-process and split tone effects in lightroom, as I have always loved that aesthetic.

Uhm. What? I know nothing about texture libraries. And cross processing and split tones? What?

Here is an article about cross processing in photoshop: http://blog.epicedits.com/2008/02/15/photoshop-techniques-cross-process-and-redscale/

But i dont know about split toning yet.

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Its all artsy crap that film guys used to do and digital hippies who cant take a decent shot try to emulate it to make their 4MB of total poo look halfway decent.

Split toning is like a duo tone. Normally, you take an image and then bleach it in order to tone it. If you stop halfway, certain parts of the image are unbleached and are able to be toned in a different manner.

Yay.

Split toning

3. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

The term 'sepia' comes from the name of an artists' pigment made from the Sepia cuttlefish, found in the English Channel, Sepia officinalis, the Common Cuttlefish.
    In sepia toning, chemicals convert the metallic silver in the print to a sulfide compound, which is much more resistant to the effects of environmental pollutants such as atmospheric sulfur compounds. This is why many old photographs are sepia toned—those are the ones that have survived until today.[citation needed]
    Except for polysulfide toners, sepia toning is done in three stages. First the print is soaked in a potassium ferricyanide bleach to re-convert the metallic silver to silver halide. The print is washed to remove excess potassium ferricyanide then immersed into a bath of toner, which converts the silver halides to silver sulfide.
    There are three types of sepia toner in modern use;
    1. Sodium sulfide toners - the traditional 'rotten egg' toner;
    2. Thiourea (or 'thiocarbamide') toners - these are odourless and the tone can be varied according to the chemical mixture;
    3. Polysulfide or 'direct' toners - these do not require a bleaching stage.
    Incomplete bleaching creates a multi-toned image with sepia highlights and grey mid-tones and shadows. This is called split toning. The untoned silver in the print can be treated with a different toner, such as gold or selenium.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_print_toning

4. Creator

what about textures?

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

In the film world, textures are pieces of fabric, paper or some other material that was applied in numerous ways on top of the print. Most typically sandwiched with the negaive or on top of the paper, thus applying their pattern or texture on top of the print.

widely used in fine art, wedding photography, etc. Anything where your style sets you apart.

Fun stuff. I do a lot of the alternative printing stuff with my film. Starting to get into it with digital too.

I mean how many straight digital prints can you do before you get bored?

Unless you're shooting photojournalism, it's definitely good to know.

6. kristin

kristin my dog > *

It can look really good if you do it right :dunno:

7. mojito

mojito New Member

it can be great, but generally is overdone and used at failing to polish a turd.

Split toning is something becoming more useful to everyone without it being an effect, as LR and ACR have the ability to do it to your RAW image. being able to change the tone of the WB in shadows vs highlights is a great tool, and can make for great B&W's

8. Creator

How do you add textures to digital images? Layer in photoshop + overlay?

Anyone have examples?

9. OlafBeserka

OlafBeserka girls pee pee when they see me OT Supporter

. examples would be great!

10. Creator