A&P post processing question astrophoto related

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Oct 11, 2008.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Some of you know I take astrophotos. I'm going to be doing Orion Nebula soon and it poses a very nice problem. It has a very bright central core and also very faint outer details.

To take astro photos we take as an example 50 1 minute exposures then stack them into a single frame. Problem here is that the central core highlights can get blown out. The way we deal with this is to take another set of exposures of maybe 30 seconds each then use them as a mask over the blown out area. Usually by creating a layer and doing some nifty bluring techniques to hide the fact that you used the mask.

Question, is there a better way of doing this? All this talk I hear of HDR seems interesting and I wonder if it could be applied in a similar way to get a nice result in my case. Any takers?

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

there are filters that are strong in the center yet clear on the sides. they work well for this. they are called Graduated ND. b+w makes them
    [​IMG]

3. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

Circular graduated instead of linear graduated. :noes:

4. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

hmm that would be an interesting way of dealing with the problem. I'm looking for more of a PP way of doing it, but that is interesting.

This link provides detailed instructions for the technique we normally use
    http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/COMP2.HTM

I'm just thinking some of you photogs/graphics guys know some other tricks.

Evan

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  5. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

I've been (not so) patiently waiting for your next shot Evan :noes:

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Hehe sorry cloudy then the moon came out real bright again. I got my computerized mount back from warranty repair so I'll be out shooting again asap. I did try Dumbell Nebula again last night, but so far I haven't been able to process it into a good one. It was also the first time I got to try my new light pollution filter so it might be that I need to learn to use it.

I'll be at a star party deep into the mountains of west virgina in 2 weeks so maybe I'll get something interesting while I'm there.

Evan