SRS Post Pardum Depression Problems with g/f

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by S4Driver, Apr 6, 2005.

1. S4Driver

S4Driver New Member

We have a beautiful 3 week old daughter now, that is the joy of both our lives. However..... this hormonal imbalance, whatever, I just don't get it. Everything can be cool, then something snaps in her and I am her scapegoat all of the sudden. Then she gets "sorry", cheers me up after breaking me down. The before mentioned process usually repeats itself every 2-3 days.

Does this get better? Please tell me it does. I am insanely in love with my new baby and my g/f, but I swear I am gonna end up killing myself on this emotional rollercoaster. Tips? Experiences? Thanks.

2. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Yeah it can be damn hard, and I am no where near on the emotional roller coaster you're on; my girlfriend is just very hormonal and mooldy... "VERY" so I can imagine its somewhat similar..... She should take some natural supplements to help her with her hormonal balance like 5htp..... anyways you guys need a phycisian or therapist to help out...

have you talked to her? she realises she's doing this to you right?

3. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

Perfectly normal. There are resources available, contact her Dr. or the hospital for support groups. Sometimes it's enough to hear other people going through the same stuff. Also, keep in mind that she probabaly can't help it, it's all chemistry. So she may medical intervention. Most women return to 'normal' within 6 months.

4. S4Driver

S4Driver New Member

6 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to load the pistol and insert it into my mouth.

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

she's moldy huh? :rofl:

6. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

i just had a baby 10 days ago.. meh.. its normal.. her hormones are a wreck.. so is her body.. not only that but im sure she is suffering from a lack of sleep.. when should you be concerned? if things dont start to improve after 3 months... suck it up.. carrying a baby for 9 months aint easy.. neither is having the baby.. and the lack of sleep adds to it.

7. S4Driver

S4Driver New Member

I am right there with her. I could tell her to suck it up too, but that isn't fair is it?

8. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

uhm... you might be right there.. but you did not birth a baby.. nor did you carry one around for 9 months.. right now she seriously has no control over her hormones.. if it lasts more then 3 months thats when you should be tellin her to get help.

My hubby has been here aswell and we have a 14 month old daughter and now a 2 week old son.. im still recovering.. it takes 6 weeks.. he goes back to work soon.. but thats fine.. he is also very understanding and has been told what to expect from the doctors..

However.. i dont walk all over him and i tell him when i need space no point in being walked over..

9. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Don't wait for six months. Ask the doctor about it now. Post Partum is nothing to be cavalier about.

10. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

You wanted kids. Suck it up and help her.

11. comatose

comatose New Member

Don't let her slip away from you, man...

Love is a thing of beauty...look past right now, and you should understand...

I know, I looked too late.:wtc:

12. teo

teo . => ? => !

Are you helping out with the night feedings? if not, you should try. Getting a breast pump so she can sleep while you take care of the baby will probably help.

13. johan

johan Active Member

Its fine to help out and be there for her -- I would expect nothing less from a father in this day and age.

However, no amount of helpful household maintenance and attending to her's & the baby's needs is going to address her post partum depression. Those really are two separate things. Just like soothing words and a bright smile isn't going to cure a raging liver infection.

Fortunately there are lots of resources to help deal with women suffering from PPD. Ask her family doctor about. You'll probably be told not to fret for at least a few more weeks, but the time to start doing your research to educate yourself on this issue is NOW. For her happiness as well as yours.

14. S4Driver

S4Driver New Member

Oh yeah, and on the weekends I have been taking the baby so that my g/f can get some much needed sleep. I love feeding the baby, so it's worth missing a little sleep at night.

15. Mel

Mel RIP James :(

It's perfectly normal, and yes, hard to understand. But if she hasn't already, she should get help. Post partum depression and post partum psychosis are very serious disorders, and could hurt the normal bonding process between mother and child (and obviously the father.) Tell her to get help.