Post injuries that hold you back from certain things at the gym

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Contemptor, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

-Messed up my lower back (well... maybe upper butt muscle... but feel it in my very low back) playing soccer when I was ~14 and I'm 20 and it still affects me. I guess I didn't stretch enough and had a couple powerful shots at goal and pulled it pretty bad.

Tried stretching more but wanted to finish my soccer season and by the end of it I was in so much pain after a game I would sometimes barely be able to limp and could barely hop in the car after the game. Ended up going to physical therapy for a while and it's mostly better now. I can't do deadlifts at my gym so I don't know how that would work, but anytime I lay down on a bench I have to lay there 30-seconds to a min for my body to adjust because it's stiff and hurts a bit

-Broke both the bones in my arm right below my wrist near in half skateboarding when I was ~13. It was right at the point where the doc recommended surgery but said I should be fine without it. I just had it set and didn't do surgery. Also a couple months after I got the cast off I got in a fight with my brother and he kicked me and I blocked it with my hand (did taekwando for years previously... it was out of instinct) and buckled it.

I think it was mostly the break that that did it, but I can pop my bone up and down (you can see it.. it's kinda gross). I can't do preacher curls or arm wrestle or anything like that with my right arm and have difficulty with most things that I lift with my wrist facing up.

-Messed up my shoulder pretty bad when I got blindside tackled playing football and threw my arm out. I think I partially dislocated it but never went to the doctor. That was about 1.5yrs ago and I still pop it a lot when I do things like lat pulldowns or flys or pullups and such... I have to be careful how I rotate it and try to keep it locked when doing that kind of stuff.

Edit- Post your age too or when you got the injuries if you want. I'm only 20 :/

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  2. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

-my pride got rocked when I saw one of the fitness chicks that competes at my gym squatting more than me. Now I can't squat.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

- two lumbar laminectomies/discectomies (in layman's terms, I have two empty discs and permanent nerve damage)
    - two screwed up rotator cuffs as a result of an enthusiastic but dumb roommate in college who pushed me into lifting with no form
    - AC arthritis

Whatever, aspirin, fish oil, and tylenol, I work around it.

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

shoulder rotator cuff or whatever going too far down in dips, just painful not hindering

tore maniscus, few days before i could do another leg day

thats it :dunno:

5. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

I saw some skinny black chick (I'm guessing track) in the gym squatting a LOT more than I could once. Thankfully she did bench after and didn't do that much and I probably could've taken her there, but I was pretty depressed while watching squatting lol.

6. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

I'm assuming my rotator cuff is what is screwed up in my shoulder, but I could be wrong. Suckssss man

I also can have pretty bad pain in my finger joints. I popped my knuckles a ridiculous amount in middle school and never really stopped. I played drumline in high school and you have to grip the sticks tight for bass drum... my finger joints hurt so badly sometimes it was near unbearable. Thankfully that doesn't really affect me in the gym. I'm only 20 and my body is already broked :wtc:

7. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

The last time I tried dips (about a month ago) my shoulder did the partial pop thing and I instantly fell loose and barely caught my balance before falling over :hs:

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

It was quite nasty.. that gritty sandpaper shit was on the steps up for the dips.. when a fell my knee scraped down it and left a clump of hair on it :o

9. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

This chick is on more stuff than I'll ever do in my whole life I'm sure. Not that it really makes me feel any better :o

10. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

Ouchh that sucks. I got lucky. I wish I had gone to the doctor when I hurt it but I really don't think anything could be done except surgery :hs:

11. Ace Ventura

Ace Ventura OT Supporter

I'm 2 months into a 3rd degree AC seperation (all 3 ligaments are completely separated) and I still cant lift without pain.

12. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

The chick I assume was about ~115lbs at 5'7 or so and was repping 245 on squat.

13. TZ

TZ Banned

- nothing

14. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

best fucking reply. i'm with you on this one.:bowdown:

15. Contemptor

Contemptor OT Supporter

Lucky

16. TZ

TZ Banned

:h5: you have an excellent attitude man, it's really admirable

17. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

post your goads

18. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

(yet)

19. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

honestly though, i've prolly got more shit screwed up with my body than anybody on this forum. but none of it will ever hold me back in the gym. there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

20. TZ

TZ Banned

you think i'm going to injure myself?

21. Ceaze

I have shoulder issues if I perform certain movements. I just avoid those exercises I've found that aggravate it.

22. Ceaze

everyone does eventually

23. TZ

TZ Banned

yea, and i have before.. my back a few times deadlifting and squatting, but they went away with rest. nothing serious thankfully. and my shoulder was having pain while pressing before too for a little bit, but that went away :bowdown:

but, i'm on a good healthy streak right now. knock wood :x:

24. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

Recently I haven't been able to do upright rows becauses they hurt my wrists.

25. erok81

erok81 All your canyons are belong to me!!

I broke my collar bone into three pieces about ten years ago that still hasn't healed and it pops and grinds together on most pressing type exercises. It's just very annoying and makes me sick sometimes. :rofl:

I think once I start moving heavy weight it will be a problem. But until then, I don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.