A&P Post differences in jpg & raw post processing

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tenplanescrashing, Aug 31, 2006.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Im not really seeing the true advantage behind RAW. I hear people talking about the control they have over the photo in post processing which I can understand since RAW isn't a compressed format. im just not physically seeing the difference in most shots.

Can anyone truly show me an outcome comparison between jpg & raw post processing?

2. please.... Just give me your camera already.

3. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

You only really notice the difference if you flip back and forth two identically processed pictures. You should notice slight differences in color, smoother color transitions, and..... well that's about it.

4. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Meh, I'll play along, I shot this little after sunset on -3 white balance which was off obviously, But shot in in raw+Jpg large

JPEG File:
    [​IMG]

Raw file after auto in Photoshop and an increase of 500 Kelvins
    [​IMG]

Final after a little bit post processing in Photoshop:
    [​IMG]

I'm by no means a pro, but thats where it really comes in handy with me, Shooting with muliple light sources and such, in a situation where you wont have the chance to shoot twice.

5. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I need to learn how to do RAW editing.......I dont even have a clue where to start.....

6. www.google.com

or do like I did

get this book :bowdown:
    [​IMG]

but all the raw/jpg editing in the world won't help you if you have a shitty monitor :o :wtc:

7. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Thats a great book.

8. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I bought this book and it kind of skims on the concept, the changes from 7.0 to CS2 are fuckin amazing.........still getting used to it

[​IMG]

9. tenplanescrashing

jigga please...for what I shoot, I rarely need to use RAW. but the example above does give me a better understanding of the difference.

shooting in RAW doesn't make you l33t nor does shooting solely in .jpg make you amateur.

10. your original post makes you look like you should trade your camera in on a p&s

11. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

I haven't been around much, but apparently you need to know everything about photography and photoshop before you buy a DSLR. I bought one with the hopes of learning more about both as I go along, but I guess you're not allowed to ask questions on the way. At least not here.

You smart guys with attitudes really need to get over yourselves; believe it or not, some of us are new at this. God forbid.

12. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I'm a beginner and I've learned a ton from these guys......just gotta let the sarcasm roll off your shoulders:dunno:

13. tenplanescrashing

Just because I can't see the difference between an output RAW file vs. a JPG file doesn't make me any less of a photographer...:dunno:

I just never shot in RAW and haven't found a need to use it either. i've produced several shots that went to print or marketing ads and none of them were shot in RAW. For what I use my camera for, I don't see the need. I was hoping something in this thread would help me understand the RAW side but it pretty much made me realize that you *think* you're some l33t photographer who knows everything...:down:

14. wow guys, I never realized that the internet is serious business!!!

Next time I talk shit and you don't like it. Just say to yourself. LowLikeWhoaF150 doesn't know dick and he just talks out of his ass! It's true, my girlfriend tells me all the time :dunno: And fuck me, I don't know dick, but insted of making myself look like an idiot I consult my friend www.google.com. And alot of times even after consulting google I still manage to make myself look like an idiot. And you know what? I don't give a fuck! Because the internet is serious business!! :run:

15. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Vignetting kuntrol!