GUN Possibly purchasing Sig P226 - need info

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Mike99TA, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

I'm pretty sure on the Sig P226, but might possibly end up with an H&K USP .40 or .45.

Anyway, the P226 comes with a .40 S&W barrel but can be interchanged with a .357Sig barrel. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each ammo type, is one more accurate than the other? Does one do more damage than the other? Which ammo is cheaper? I really like Sig guns and have shot a few and they fit me well, so I think thats what I'm going to go with, I just need to decide which barrel I want to start with. Thanks for any info!

2. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

.40SW is cheaper to purchase ammo for. The .357SIG is merely a .40SW cartridge that has been necked-down to accomodate a 9mm projectile. Hence the designation of .357SIG

The SIG round typically has a higher velocity which makes it more accurate out past the 25-50yd points. It's a fun, hot little round, but I prefer the .40SW for anything other than popping bowling pins or metal targets at the range. Some police agencies had actually adopted the .357SIG early on but I think alot of them have gone to .40SW or back to .45ACP

I bought my P226 a week ago and went with the .40SW just since I prefer that round and use it in several other handguns. Ammo is easy to come by and relatively cheap compared to the .357SIG

I'd go that route and order a .357SIG barrel for it later if you feel like you want the versatility.

3. soccaian

soccaian New Member

the 357sig is definitely an interesting round... perhaps a little better for self-defense... but the 40sw is also a very good round. doing the barrel swap will let you experience both rounds.

i also recommend a certified pre-owned sig. the have been completely refurbished with new internals and exhibit only minor exterior wear. check out http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com and e-mail James with your request. he will help you out substantially with your choice and will beat anyones prices on either a new or used Sig.

4. Mike99TA

Cool! So how do you like the P226 so far? I haven't actually shot the 226 yet, just the 228, 220, and 229, but from reading, the P226 sounds like exactly what I want. Interested in your opinion on the gun itself

5. Mike99TA

I'm debating on certified pre-owned, but I'm not sure I can force myself to do it. I am almost never able to buy anything preowned without it bothering me. I haven't bought a used car since I was like 17. Guns are the same way for me, although I will contemplate it :)

6. Whalephat

I love it. Much less "felt" recoil than with my Glock 23 and fits my hand better than my SIG P229 ever did.

7. soccaian

soccaian New Member

even if you purchase a new gun, i strongly urge you to get into contact with James... he can get you the best price anywhere

8. atomlowe

atomlowe meh....member

the 357SIG alone with the 17HMR are damn sexy looking cartridges..lol. Personally, go with the 40 cal on cost alone for the ammo. I doubt you'll shoot anything past 35yards fequently. I've put Houges grips on mine and I absolutely love them. Gives me a better feel for the gun IMO. Since I bought this gun, my Beretta EII gets very little range time.

9. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Buy it in .40 and maybe buy the .357SIG barrel later.

The 226 scored best in Ohio Police tests in 9mm.

10. Mike99TA

How is the 226 for concealed carry? Anyone carry one? I was also looking at the P229 which seems to be a slightly smaller version of the 226. Just curious if anyone carries a 226 and how it is.

11. Whalephat

I've carried the P226 in my Comp-Tac kydex OWB a few times now. It's not something I'd want to carry daily as it's a little on the larger side of things, but it's not as bad as the few times I tried to carry my old H&K USP full-size either. :big grin:

I don't think I'd want to try an IWB holster with the P226 though. Gun seems too long for that.

My favorite for CCW is still my Glock 23. Small enough and light enough to carry comfortably for hours.

12. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I have a 228 which is the same size as the 229. It will be easier to carry concealed than the 226. Full sized pistols are tough to hide and get heavy when you carry them all day.

If you really want something smaller take a look at the 239.

13. soccaian

soccaian New Member

or maybe even the Sig Pro

14. Ry-Ballz

Ry-Ballz This sucks, change the channel

I 2nd that notion.
    I have a 228 in 9mm and it's a little big for my tastes, I would imagine the 226 to be even less suited for concealed carry.
    The P239 is a great gun, I have one in .40, get hogue grips and you have IMO the perfect carry gun. Only downside I can find is the 7 round capacity, other than that I love it.

15. bkarle

bkarle M4 > *

H&K USP .40 = ownage.

16. Whalephat

I've owned and shot the hell out of both a USP40 and my SIG P226. The SIG's recoil system results in a feel that is comparable to the USP's in my experience. A .40SW is always going to have some "pop" to it but neither of these guns are untamed.

The best recoil reducer for shooting .357SIG in a SIG handgun is the Sprinco model. None of that stupid mercury / BB garbage that other recoil reducers use. Makes a world of difference.

17. soccaian

soccaian New Member