WEB Possibly looking for a developer.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quid, Nov 23, 2009.

1. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

I take care of keeping the member database updated and am the point of contact for the members. I did not develop it, and am not promoting it.

Its a site for a group of bankruptcy attorneys.

They hired this company to build a site, and the end result is a total hackjob. They are now fielding the group for ideas to fix it up, but I want to convince them to go elsewhere for the development.

The site is www.bklawyers.org

If any of the more experienced developers here want to quote this I would love to talk to you about it.

Basically every member (~300) needs a profile, and the ability to login and update that profile. There needs to be an event calendar.

Things they want to do are a homepage that aggregates new information to the database. A document center. A forum. A photo/video gallery (administrator operated, not one for every member)

The group has some money, but they spent far too much building this one and are not keen to throw it away, even though I think they should. The company they hired is very unprofessional, rarely returns emails, has never returned a phone call. Said a fix would be done in a day then spent a month. Selling them on a new developer would not be hard, but the price needs to be right.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. quid

Would you consider quoting the whole project?

3. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

Convince them to swap to Drupal then get one of the devs here on TWL to get it up and running. I'll shoot you a quote in a few hours.

4. quid

I would love to see this site on drupal.

5. quid

It will take them a few months probably just to have board meetings and figure out what exactly they want.

6. quid

I'm working on getting that from them. I know they pay a monthly maintenance/hosting fee as well (the actual dealing with the members forgetting their passwords is done by me though.) There is the possibility for residual income but part of convincing them to do this may involve setting them up on their own hosting to cut that monthly cost.

This site was built in 2 parts, the first being a couple thousand and the second being the member/events database and search function costing another couple thousand.

The idea of finding a different developer has been tried before but ultimately failed because:
    1. no one wanted to work with the existing code (totally understandable) and
    2. they came back with 10k starting quotes (simply more money than this group has).

The membership to the group is $150 a year, but the vast majority of that money is spent on the group meetings and continued legal education seminars.

7. quid

I just got the go ahead from the president of the group to field for quotes so I will put together a more comprehensive summary of what they are looking for.

He is getting me the amounts from the treasurer. He thinks they are paying $200 /month in maintenance.

8. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

This is a pretty good price. I'd do it for about that but i'm wayyy too busy. Plus, Josh > me. :p

9. quid

www.uploadftw.com/quid/200911/Bklawyers-bid-summary.pdf

That is a more comprehensive outline of their feature needs, so I won't hold you to that number just yet ;)

also with your (or anyone elses) bid, just send me some of the sites you've built so I can pass this all along to them.

Based on the emails ive gotten today they are fully ready to move away from the current developer so a reasonable bid by a competent person will get this done.

10. ge0

ge0 New Member

If best practices are performed, $2500 is not a bad deal. Backends are typically more exspensive.