MIL Possibly Enlisting in the Navy, Advice Needed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by MCDGexx, Jun 27, 2006.

1. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

Well i've always wanted to be a SEAL since I was a little kid and I think i'm going to pursue that goal sooner than I thought. Basically i'll give you guys a cliff notes of my life the past few years. I started High School planing on leaving and joining the Marines or Navy. So I didn't push myself very hard, to get the stuff done needed for college. But in my Junior year I met my Fiance, so I after I realized I was going to marry her my plans started to change, I was going to go to college first and be an officer. Then I wasn't going to go at all. Well now i'm back to the officer thing, but problem is I don't like school, and waiting and strugglinng to get through 4 years of college at least before I can join sucks. It will put me tens of thousands of dollars in debt for college costs. So my plan right now is to Enlist with the SEAL challenge, and once I finish all training, I will start going to college. My recruiter said college is 100% payed for. Sounds like bs to me but I want to make sure, I mean even if they pay for half, its better than nothing. Then after that getting commissioned and moving onto an officer in the teams. Thats if I make it through BUD/s etc. If I don't i'm going to be doing Hospital Corpsmen school before BUD/s so i'll do that and work with the Marines until I can get college done, get commisionned and work on being a pilot. Sound like a strong plan?

2. MCDGexx

MCDGexx Crazyquack

no, I would be going to college while on my off duty in the states time, not like a go to college full time deal. Bit by bit, and probably mainly online stuff.

3. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

my friend from high school enlisted in the navy as a network technician and did the seals challenge.

he finished his tech school and then finished buds and joined the seals team in coronodo and disappeared for months at a time.

he was also given the same promise; that he could finish college bit by bit via various means (online, onsite study, paper based classes, etc.) and that he would be able to get a degree before his contract and that he would get oodles of cash.

none of that materialized. he's just "gone" for long periods of time.

i was given the same song and dance when i joined the marines, that if i went active i would be able to finish school.

i decided against that and chose the reserve route.

even as a reserve my life is impacted.

someone undoubtedly will jump in after me and call me a pussy saying that i can't juggle between military life, my work life, my school life, and my personal life but whatever, to each their own.

being in the military is a sacrifice. some people can do good some people can't. because of the military i've learned long ago not to rely on thinking i can accomplish everything at high speed.

your choice is seals, marriage, or college. don't get fooled in thinking that all three can be related because ultimately a jack of all is a master of none.

4. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

School is hard to do on active duty. honestly the best way to do school and military is the guard. Only because the guard (certain states) will offer a garunteed time of non-deployment status (1-2 years). Bottom line is that scholl is possible on active duty but it is taxing and difficult because your first job is military and school is a luxury.

You didn't say if your recruiter mentioned the loan repayment plan. You can do school now and when you graduate and join the military will repay a huge chunk (if not all) of your student loans. Between 20,000-40,000 dollars.

My advice is stay in school and get the degree then pursue military career.

P.S. Keep in mind the pass ratio of Seals and be sure that you would not mind serving in another job that wasn't a Seal.

5. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

i have to say unless you want a divorce, don't be a seal.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

i learned that being in the military is the most stable thing one can do and yet also the most unstable and unsure thing one can do

being a seal will not get you a college degree.

it will not make you a better husband.

it will not make you a better person.

it makes you an United States Navy SEAL.

after you completed that journey, you can start something else.

it sounds so discouraging and sad but i learned the hard way.

but if you have the fortitude no one can stop you.

7. Clix

Clix New Member

Only thing I can add is that my cousin went in to be a SEAL, went though basic/AIT was waiting to go to SEAL school or whatever and then got married and isnt going now. So like it was said earlier, find a job you want incase somethin happens.

8. darnit

darnit New Member

If you can make it through school, how do you expect to make it through seals...
    They do go to school as well.
    PLus, school, if you drop out you lose cash. When your going through BUDS training, you can drop out any time you want. And the only thing it will cost you is the job of being a SEAL. But you will get a wonderful new job for the next 5 years of chipping paint.
    Finish school.
    end of story!

9. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Stick with it if that is what you want.

School is def. something you want to have under your belt though.

Good luck with what ever path you decide to go with.

10. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

priorities change when you're married. Finish school first.

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

All of the replies in this thread have been right on.

My advice:
    • Join the National Guard. Talk with your recruiter about your options for college tuition, etc. Tell him your carreer plan. Ask him to give you as many options as he can so that you can make an informed decision before you sign your contract.
    • Get a science degree. Major in something that would be valuable to both you and the military. Get your recruiter to give you advice about your major.
    • While you are in college, train for BUDS. Don't let up. Make your standard for training tougher than you think you will need for BUDS. It won't be, but try anyway.
    • Join the Navy as an officer.
    • Graduate from BUDS and become a SEAL.
    Having said all that, you need a dose of reality regarding all of the goals you have set for yourself. Your goals are, for the most part, mutually exclusive for most human beings. Most men can not make it through BUDS. Most couples can not maintain a healthy marriage while the husband also maintains a career as a SEAL. Almost zero men can maintain a career as a SEAL and also work their way successfully through a BS course load to graduation. As a SEAL you will be gone for months, with little to no advance notice. Your wife will essentially be single, taking care of the bills and everything concerning the household. When you come back she will have to put up with your need to deccelerate from whatever mission stresses you have lived through, and you will have to put up with her need to unload from whatever household/neighborhood/base/bullshit stresses she has lived though. Neither one of you will understand or comprehend each other's stresses, but her bullshit stresses are just as real and monumental to her as the life-and-death stresses you live through on your missions. While you are able to rely and lean on your team members during your missions, she will also find and develop her own support team that she will rely on and lean on while you are gone. You may not like - or even know - the people on the support team that she builds. And yes, it could be as bad as it sounds.

Cliffs: Join the Guard. Get your degree. AFTER you graduate from college, decide whether you want to be a SEAL or be married.

12. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

slim chance of succeeding with that plan, if youd rather complete college while serving, best bet would be the corpsman deal...if youd rather be a seal...good luck, make sure youre ready

13. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn