Possible to upgrade my Processor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by II nonsense II, May 19, 2004.

1. II nonsense II

II nonsense II Not Membered

quick newbie question: I have an older 380mhz AMD-K6 processor. Can I upgrade to a P4 or similar onto it's motherboard? Or if not how can i check what's compatible with my system? or if it's even possible

2. illmatix

illmatix Diamond Studded Member OT Supporter

Nope, you'll need a completely new motherboard and possibly even new RAM. At this point in time, it's probably not worth it to try upgrading the K6. If you're hoping to play the cool new video games you'll probably end up wanting a new video card, a new sound card and maybe even a new drive... add those to the Motherboard, chip, and RAM and you're basically looking at a new computer.

3. bait

bait New Member

the best you can do is stick a faster k6 in that mobo.

my k6-2 450 stays on 24/7 as a router :dunno:

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Find out what who the maker is and the model number of tht mobo is, then check with them to see what all AMD chips will work in there.
    But no, you can't stick an Intel chip in a mobo made for an AMD chip.

5. Stev

Stev Active Member

chances are if u do find a faster one like 550mhz or so im guessing it will be more economical to purchase a low end AthlonXP cpu/mobo not to mention much more performance.

6. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

If it is a Super 7 board and you can run everything at 100 MHz FSB, then you might be able to run a slightly faster CPU on there, but those boards maxed out at 550 MHz, so it probably won't be worth the effort.
    I agree with these other guys.
    It's probably time to do a full upgrade.

7. Stev

Stev Active Member

no kidding man, a good upgrade wont cost u much at all. say the 2500+ for 80bux, a midrange nForce2 mobo for about 70 bucks or so and u have a completely new machine. Granted u will have to get a stick of ram, and prolly replace the Power Supply but all in all it is not costly at all to upgrade an old setup.