Possible to force single core apps to use both cores?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nLinked, Oct 12, 2009.

1. nLinked

nLinked New Member

Programs like Audacity (for example) only seem to use one core when converting an audio file into another format. I know this because the CPU Meter gadget maxes out at 50% (which indicates one core is fully utilised). That leaves the other core wasted whereas some other conversion apps utilise both cores and I get quicker results.

Is there any way to get software to use both cores somehow to speed up performance on single core apps? Or is it all up to the developers? I have a Core 2 Duo running Windows 7 if that's relavent.

2. ady

ady New Member

Down to developers.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Think thats up to the developers of the software but in for correct answer if you can or not. Thinking you can't.

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If the software is not designed to use multiple threads for a particular task, then it won't magically divide the workload while performing that task.

5. als54

als54 OT Supporter

They already do, as the code comes into the L2 cache the instruction is sent to the first available processor. This may not be optimal, but the dual core is being used. Developers take full advantage of multi core processors through coding.

6. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Everyone is correct, if the explicit utilization of multiple cores through multi-threading is not designed into the software by the programmers nothing you can do will change that.

7. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

i5 will use all cores in turbo mode regardless. It's faster at single threaded applications than the i7; however, it's the only thing it does better. Otherwise, NO, you cannot make it use all cores for a single threaded app.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't make a single-threaded app use multiple cores simultaneously no matter what kind of processor you're running. A thread is a sequence of commands that absolutely must be run in the correct order or the program won't work right. You can't split a thread between multiple cores, though you can certainly switch from one core to the next whenever you want.

In the case of your music-encoding program, a multi-threaded solution would be to split the song into segments according to how many cores are available, and then run a separate copy of the encoder on each song segment, so they could each run in a different core and complete the encoding process that much faster. However, that's something the programmers would have to set up; there's no way you could do it yourself.

9. nLinked

nLinked New Member

Brilliant answers from everybody. Mostly everyone suggests the dev's must make the software to support multi-core. Thanks for confirming for me!