Possible to copy complete software to new HDD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PureTorque, Oct 21, 2009.

1. PureTorque

PureTorque New Member

I want to reformat my drive because i feel there are some virus', but I don't want to deal with virus scans as a have Norton and it says I have no virus.'

My question:
    Is it possible to backup complete software's to an external, reformat internal, and then copy it back over? If so, what the most cost effective way of doing so.

Thanks.

2. BladedThesis

BladedThesis New Member

Backup settings, reinstall software, put settings where they were previously.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You are pretty much going to have to reinstall the programs. Most programs today copy files to multiple directories and multiple locations.

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

and registry.. which makes it difficult to pull out the config info there no telling where it dumps stuff to without searching. best to just reinstall the programs

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try using Avast! antivirus. Download it, install it, approve the boot-time defrag it want to do, don't reboot automatically, manually run the program from the Start menu, download updates, then reboot. It will run its scan before Windows loads far enough for viruses to be able to run themselves, which makes it a lot more likely they'll get caught.

6. PureTorque

PureTorque New Member

Ok, it just because i have a ton of games but i don't have the cd's anymore. i guess i'll just antivirus it and then go for a win 7 upgrade