Possible to change Mac address of ethernet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ubisquo, May 2, 2006.

1. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

I've ordered a brand-spanking new 20" Core Duo for myself to take the place of my mini. As i'm in halls our Internet access is managed by the mac addresses of the machines. I've emailed support several times now about how i'd go about changing the address they have, but had no reply. In case this all goes pear-shaped, is there any way i can change the mac address of the new iMac to the one of the mini?

I'm going to keep trying the halls support, but if anyone knows if i can (and how), that would be amazing.

2. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

MAC addresses are typically hard coded on the network adapter. It is possible on some NICs to change the MAC address, but that's rare and I doubt the NICs Apple uses include that type of functionality.

3. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

you'd need a MAC spoofer. good luck with that.

4. decaf

decaf New Member

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  5. robwormald

robwormald New Member

why not have router and clone the mac address to that? run both machines behind it?

6. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Thanks a ton, decaf, if i don't hear back from them soon i'll do that. :) A damn useful command to know.

Rob: It breaks my halls contract to use more than 1 machine for Internet access (stupid rule, i agree), and.. i'm selling the mini. :) Selling it to my bro for a good price, and hopefully he'll like/love it. At the very least it's going to be a *vast* speed improvement on his 500mhz laptop, so.. **fingers crossed**.