GUN Possible stupid question alert.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Navvik, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

I'm a noob. Of all of the manufacturers of the 1911 .45ACP style, what is the major difference between them aside from price?

2. Quality, features, warranties, materials, etc...

Not a stupid question, just far too broad to answer well. Is there a specific comparison you're looking to make?

3. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Yes actually. Springfield Armory 1911, taurus' PT1911, and one i recently saw and STI Spartan. I'm not looking to get a rickety peice of shit that'll blow my arm off, but at the same time i'm not loong to get the rolls royce of 1911's which i kinda feel that springfield armory is. But then again what the hell do i know about guns. :noes:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Either of the 3 you mention are good, some people knock the taurus but it isn't a bad gun. STI has a couple models I really like that I'd probably get if I were in the market for another 1911.

5. I think the majority here would agree that the Springfield 1911s are superior to the Taurus versions. I don't have any personal experience with either, so that's just the feeling I get. I have shot other Tauruses before and I've not been left impressed by them. If you're just looking to put holes in paper at the range, I'm sure the Taurus would be fine though. I have a STI Spartan, and I'm shooting my first IDPA match with it tomorrow. So far, I'm really happy with it. The fit of the parts is great, the barrel to slide and slide to frame fit are very tight, and I can't budge them by hand. For the same price as the Taurus, the STI gives you the quality of much more expensive 1911s.

6. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

My FFL(dad) has a Springifled Armory 1911, he keeps it in this like... shiny case, and everytime he pulls it out to show off to whomever its like angels sing, then i look at the price tag and want to cry. Mine will be for open carry as well as putting holes in paper at the range. I'd like to compete with it because I remember as a kid seeing.... this commercial i think it was of this guy in a tshirt put holes in targets through this course. I mean like serious fucking lightning. i think he unloaded.... 4 or 5 clips over the course of 3 minutes. I was hooked. But i dont know what its called though, is that IDPA?

7. Calling them "clips" is kind of a noob thing. "Magazine" is the correct term, unless you're actually talking about stripper clips or moon clips. :)

And that wouldn't be IDPA, IDPA is based more on realistic shooting scenarios, and you can't use 4 or 5 magazines in an IDPA stage. Even USPSA stages don't last 2 or 3 minutes.

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I have a Springfield GI in stainless. I had a gunsmith smooth the insides out, and it has new grips but is otherwise factory. It will feed all manner of hollow points, so it is a good gun IMO. The 1911 is a classic "bad-ass" gun, and a good one should last a lifetime. The slide to frame fitment on my Springfield is quite acceptable for the price, if kept oiled I expect it to outlast me.

9. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

yeah lol as soon as i finshed i was like " damn, magazine, not clip" Garands use clips, Broomhandles use clips. not... whatever the hell he was using. It was like some sort of speed shooting thing, like clear this particular area and shoot as many targets as possible. I dunno I just remember wanting to do something like that. ( i think i was 12 at the time?)

10. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

The Taurus 1911's are actually pretty nice guns, I just don't trust them as a company.
    Main differences are as mentioned, quality, fit & finish, etc.

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Those STIs are fucking great for the price and Springfield has some really nice 1911s as well. I have no experience with Taurus.

12. chakup

chakup Guest

Yep can't go wrong with springfield or STI. If on a budget- look at Rock Island. They get good reviews- no first hand experience on this. I personall go with Springfield.

13. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Saw Rock Island, but.... Their stuff looks kinda small, I've got... chunky hands. anything compact just feels... like if i sneeze and close my hand at the same time i might crush it or something.

14. Slick26

:rofl:

15. Slick26

Jolly Brown Giant, is that you?

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Really don't care for the 1911's as I'm a glock whore, but...

If I were to get a 1911 and it was not a STI I would go and find a decent 1911 smith in my area. Ask him what platform/frames he prefers to work on. He may even have one or know of somebody that has one cheap.

Then I would get whatever he recomends such as a used inexpensive springfield usgi or whatever and have him do a basic reliability job on it.

Then over time add components to it as your skills and preferences develop. Aftermarket sights, beaver tails (or not for carry), trigger work, etc.

17. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

:rofl: God gave me big hands! blame him. not tall.... think... i dunno like comic juggernaut, but shorter and chunkier? i dunno

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

RIA makes several flavors of 1911's, not just compacts. They even make a doublestack
    [​IMG]

19. Slick26

I dunno, I don't think that much into dudes.

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

21. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

i dont own a 1911, but I have shot a few springfields. Overall I would say they were pretty sweet. I just cant state field stripping a 1911 style pistol. Im spoiled by sigs and glocks.

22. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

:rofl:

23. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

:fawk:

24. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

Personally I have no experiecne with Taurus but I've read enough bad things about their customer service that I'd go for the STI or SA. I own a Colt and love it. :big grin: