Possible Spyware problem I can't fix, plz help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I've got something on my system that AdAware and Spybot both continute to find... Even though they report fixing it, after restarting and scanning again each program continues to find the same thing as before.

This is what Spybot reports:

This is what AdAware finds:

Any idea how I can fix this? :confused:

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

The first you can ignore, adaware and spybot both find those as possible hijackers, but they're being over cautious, unless your home page has really been hijacked. The second one is just a cookie, delete it and don't worry about it.

3. Roadhog

Roadhog New Member

i think they are all just cookies...

4. Version 2.1

Version 2.1 Member

The DSO exploit that Spybot S&D is finding is a flaw in IE. (Imagine that!) There is little that you can do, except to stay current with Microsoft's critical updates. I believe that current versions of Spybot no longer dectect this, but I will not swear to this. I stopped seeing this after upgrading to SP2. You can find more info about the exploit on Spybot's forum.

What Adaware is finding is your ordinary, garden variety tracking cookie. Basically harmless, you stop them by setting your browser to reject third party cookies.

You would really be better off using Mozilla's FireFox browser.

5. casull

casull New Member

Using firefox will fix almost every problem you will have with spyware. I mean, you'll still get some bad cookies, but a lot of the crap you get surfing the web is from holes in IE.
    Plus, can you say tabbed browsing?

6. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I am using firefox, have been since it came out.... I'd gladly delete IE from my system if I could.

I recently reinstalled Win XP but didn't dl and install SP2 yet because of these two things being found, ironic. I'll install it and hopefully the one will go away.