Possible RAM Problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yesterday I bought a second 512MB stick of RAM for my computer (to bring the total up to 1 gig, running in dual-channel mode). It really helps in terms of speed and things, but I seem to be having a couple problems in SuSE 8.2 (which ran perfectly before I added the RAM).

1) When I boot up, it doesn't show the boot process, just gives me a blank screen until X loads. X works fine, but when I switch over to a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1/.../6), it gives me a bunch of random colored fuzzy looking stuff.
    2) Today I came back after having left it overnight and my keyboard and mouse no longer worked, so I had to do a physical reboot.

Never had either of these problems until today. Could it be a RAM issue? I'm a little worried since I bought cheap stuff (I know, cardinal sin of computer building, but it was an awesome deal), and if it is a RAM issue, I'll take it back and put in the extra $60 or so to get some Kingston.

2. Orgazmo

Orgazmo Guest

Make sure the sticks are in the right slots for Dual channel, if they aren't it causes big problems.

3. Penguin Man

The manual says I can use any two slots, and I've tried all the combinations, same problem.

I ran memtest86 on each stick separately and with them together, no errors. Everything else seems to work fine, just this funny little problem. Doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with the memory, but the problem goes away when I only have one stick in. I guess I'll try reconfiguring X and see if that helps (although it shouldn't) :dunno:

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

ram does wierd stuff, but that sounds like video or mobo trouble

does the video share the mobo ram?

5. Penguin Man

I have no idea. I have an FX5200 video card if that helps :dunno:

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

you're probably not sharing RAM with an fx5200 (I have the same chipset); and if memtest86 is showing no errors; :dunno:

have you tried putting the sticks in different slots? (I know there's usually two pairs of slots, you could try both pairs and see if it makes any diff.)

Otherwise, are both sticks the same "grade" of RAM? Example, since I assume this is a DDR machine, if you're running one stick of 2100 and one stick of 2700, something like that.

7. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Active Member

I had a similiar problem like that before. Try switching slots and also try use one stick at a time (to see if it works by itself). If it works fine by itself it may be a different speed (like BlazinBlazer Guy said). The process of elimination is the key to troubleshooting (if you do not have previous experience).

8. Penguin Man

Both are PC3200, and I've tried different combinations of slots (there are three slots, and you can use any two for dual channel), but I'll try again I guess :dunno:

On a side note, everyone always says that 512 should be enough and going to 1024 isn't much of a difference, but on this machine is has made a huge difference. It runs much faster and more smoothly, and the CPU seems to run cooler (maybe with twice as much RAM it doesn't have to work as hard :dunno: ). Definetely happy with my purchase, although I'll be happier if I figure this problem out.

9. Yanick

Yanick Guest

My friend had this problem. He used the first and last slot and it solved his problem. Try it and give me some news.