GUN possible purchase of an AR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phlashkill, Oct 16, 2008.

1. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

it seems as if my dreams of getting a AR are coming closer to reality.
    my grandfather is my primary hunting partner.
    I had talk to my grandfather a while ago about how getting an AR would be a better deer rifle due to its lowered weight. he has a rotator cuff problem in addition to older age.
    I just talked to him again today if he had thought about it anymore. his answer, "just need you to pick it out." i get to pick it out because i will probably have it most of the year for target shooting.
    now the question is caliber. i feel that the 5.56 would be a decent round for overall use, mainly target shooting. i know that it is not an ideal round for deer. so that brought me to 308 because of its better stopping power. his current rifle is a .243 and he used to want a .270.
    if he feels ok to go with a 5.56 then i think the smith & wesson would be a good choice from all the reviews i have heard of their M&P line.
    if he would rather go with the .308 i think a DPMS would be a great choice. i have shot a DPMS AR-15 before, most recently 2 days ago, and really like it alot. liked it better than the Bushmaster i have also fired.

Thoughts on 5.56/.223 for deer hunting?
    or .308 a better round including target shooting?

Smith and Wesson or a DPMS?

thanks

2. johnson

johnson New Member

What's wrong with the .243?

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

S&W over DPMS any day.

and i like your catchy-tacticool name.

SIKEEEE on the name.

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

don't hunt deer with a .223

5. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

ive heard this argument before. the only thing making me want to argue this is the higher price of ammo for a higher caliber. and that it would be used as a target gun more than 1 week a year.

6. 7

if you can't afford to use an adequate round then don't hunt, it's that simple.

7. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

.223 won't be very good for Deer.

8. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

i use 30.06
    its just the target use that it seems you are not looking into. while ideally everyone that used a firearm would have a specific firearm for each specific purpose. some of us do not have the funds to do that, so purchase of utilitarian firearms occurs.

9. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

Hunting big game is all about shot placement. .223 will kill deer just as dead as .243 or .308. You need to be accurate with .223 with a perfect shot in the boiler room or in the neck/head...I guess I would just put it that using .223 heightens the margin of error. Bullet selection is also a huge part of this.

Also remember that shooting at deer is not like shooting at paper off a bench with a bag. It is easy to be an inch or two low and shoot a deer's jaw off and have it starve to death.

edit - I use .308 & .30-06

10. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

What kind of .243 is his using? I doubt an AR is going to be much lighter (if at all) than a sporter .243.

11. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Does he really want an AR cause of it's lower weight?

Or do you just want an AR and are using it as an excuse?

12. phlashkill

phlashkill New Member

both.

and Goat, his .243 is ancient. i think it is an old ruger.

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

in some states you have to use greater than 223 to hunt deer, check your laws

14. Don't shoot a deer with a .223 dick.

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lol wrong thread

16. Fireball

Fireball OT Supporter

Why is everyone so against deer hunting with a .223?

Sure, we can all go buy .50 BMG's and blow them to chunks.

But why not add the sport back into it? Where shot placement actually counts.

A .223 (actually .224) bullet, given the proper weight and proper velocity won't have any problem stopping a deer.

I'm going deer hunting starting tomorrow with my AR-15.

I have hand loaded a round that after talking to a NUMBER of avid deer hunters who also have done quite a lot of research into it, think it will work great. It's a 60gn Nosler partition bullet loaded in 5.56 brass, with 5.56 velocities. It's coming out of my 16" barrel approximately 2950-3000 fps, while still keeping the speed up at 100yrds. I'm also shooting quarter sized targets at 100yrds.

For those who don't know what a Nosler partition bullet is, it's designed for exactly this... it instantly mushrooms the front section on impact to cause massive damage, while still retaining the 2nd half of the bullet mass to keep the weight to push on through.

Its legal in my state to hunt with anything bigger than a .22LR.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

WTF is this don't hunt deer with a 223 nonsense?

It will work fine, given the proper bullet. The problem with AR's, is that most good bullets are too long a OAL to fit in the magazine. If you are going to gun with an AR, look for Scirocco's as the bullet choice.

I punch shoulders with 223/53TSX combos, and haven't recovered a bullet yet. Breaking bones is where it's at, and a 223 with non-shit bullets will do that no problem. You guys need to get your mind right - The cartridge headstamp isn't where it's at...... It's all about the bullet.

All that being said... I think there are better mousetraps for killing games. A Remington 700, with a modest contour/length, dropped into a Remington Ti take-off stock is very lightweight, balances great, and is quite possibly the definition of utility. And I <3 6mm bullets and 243 cases.

18. 7

I'd like to see this run over a chronograph as 3000fps out of a 16" seems a tad high to me.

Also Nosler has a bullet with a .228sd and muzzle velocity of 3000fps losing slightly over 400fps at 100yds so you might want to check your load.