Possible keylogger in computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mixwell, Apr 21, 2007.

1. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

Like the title says, I may possibly have a keylogger in my computer. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me to a program that will be able to find it and take it out. I currently use the free AVG virus scanner. I'm not exactly sure how good it is, since it has never found anything on my computer. Maybe It's because my computer is only a month old though and I've been safe so far?

Reason why I believe there is a keylogger on my computer is because recently while playing the game WoW, someone had gone into my account and transfered a bunch of virtual items and currency off of my account. No one knows of my account info, which is why I think I may have a keylogger somewhere hidden in my computer tracking my info.

Like I mentioned before, this computer I've recently build is only about a month old, so I'm surprised I already have something like this on my computer. I'd really appreciated any type of help or response I can get to get down to this asap. I'm just a bit paranoid now and still upset this even happened in the first place.

Thank you in advance to any help you guys may be able to provide.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'll go by the assumption that you are running XP Pro.

First of all, is their anyway that someone could have just hacked your account via the Wow Servers, and not from your actual computer? If so, the first thing to do is to contact them right away.

If you are not running a firewall, other than XP's, get Zonealarm.
    You want to be getting alerts when something tries to access the internet.
    Click on the link that says "I only want basic protection"
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp

You also want to be checking for spyware - Spybot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

And Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

If you find a bunch of stuff in there, you may want to do an additional step.
    First is to turn of system restore.

Start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore > disable system restore and exit.

And also, run scans in safe mode. Hit F8 during bootup to get to safe mode.

3. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I love it how someone points out that they are checking and cannot find anything sinister, so they immediately think the absolute worst possible thing -- with a complete disregard for the facts -- which indicate otherwise.

5. mixwell

mixwell weakkutz

I have just downloaded all of those listed above. I have ran a complete scan of my computer using Avast as a friend recommended, as AVG did not pick up on anything. It found 3 Trojans =\ I "moved them to chest" as it was recommended.

I do have a firewall, though I"m not sure how good it really is. It came with my video card I believe and it's called ActiveArmor Firewall. If the one listed above is much better, I will go ahead and get it.

Is there anyway someone could have hacked into my acount from the WoW servers? Possibly I suppose if their servers are really that shitty, but how would I find out?

What does turning off my system restore do? Also running the scans in safe mode?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm just curious and would like to learn about it. Thanks!

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

If a virus gets added to the system resore data base, it can prevent antivirus programs from removing it. (likewise spyware, adware)
    So by turning system restore off, you delete the restore points and possibly saved pests.

Some pests can be deleted in safe mode that can't be deleted in normal operation mode.

You seriously should contact the WoW people and let them know what happened. They might be able to run an ip address check on who was at the wheel when the items were taken.
    If they can verify it wasn't you, then the might be able to restore them. It's a paid service, so they owe that to you.
    But time is of the essence. Don't wait too long or they might not be able to help.