Possible hormone imbalance?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by -Mordecai-, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

I'm starting to think that one of the big factors that has been holding me back from making solid gains is some type of hormone imbalance.

If I take time off the gym (say a week or 2) and then come back the first few days will be great. I'll have tons of energy, lots of appetite and just feel strong mentally...but then my moods start to shift and i become increasingly lazy and tired. I'll have almost no desire for food or will to workout but i'll push myself anyway..

I'm usually able to will myself to keep working out even though i feel like shit but i cant seem to maintain my diet. Large amounts of food become instant gag reflex.

This has been something I've just now begun to realize over several years of working out..I'll have weeks or even months where I will make great gains and then fall into this state where I cant seem to do anything..

Anybody here go through or been through something like this? do i have low or fluctuating levels of testosterone maybe?

on a side note: through years of working out i've also developed a pretty simple way to tell if im eating enough to make gains without getting into calorie counting and whatnot...Basically, if im shitting atleast 2 times a day then i'm eating enough.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. T-R-T

T-R-T New Member

It's probably all in your head.

3. Blade

Blade Time to swolercize

man up...that will fix 95% of your problems

4. macro

macro New Member

the best way to find out is to get a full hormone profile, particularly one where you feel good and then one when you dont.

post them, and then a proper (non biased insurance/AMA/profit/costs) analysis of your results can be given.

ie. within range does not necessarily mean OK.

prolactin for instance, even at middle of range is generally considered as high. and even low readings, in light of other issues and hormone profile can be actually situationally high (E for example- when T is low and E is low- that does not mean that E is low, it generally means that E is high and suppressing T which then lowers E as T is the primary substrate)

5. BimmerJustin

BimmerJustin Why would you deny yourself something you want?

Im actually curious about this as well. If i make an appt with an endo/PC and ask for a hormone profile, will he just set me up with one in office? or is he gonna ask me 1000s of questions then tell me i dont need one?

6. ralyks

ralyks New Member

In Canada they are curious why but will give it to you regardless.

I find if I'm not sleeping enough this tends to happen to me. It's worth looking at other factors -- time of year, amount of cardio, composition of diet, sleeping patterns, stress, drug use, etc.

7. BimmerJustin

i dont feel like i have any particular effects of a hormone imbalance, but i would like a profile to have a baseline as i reach my 30s and beyond.

8. macro

macro New Member

symptoms
    poor appetite
    low libido
    weakness
    lethargy
    intermittent depression
    fatigue
    excessive muscle soreness

would guess that some or even all of these are true in your case (at least to an extent- since you described them indirectly and directly in your post.

you can just go to a GP and they will generally order the tests. you may have to push to get a full panel.
    thryoid
    T
    Free T
    E2
    total E
    prolactin (macroprolactin test if available)
    progesterone
    dhea-s
    dhea

might as well get cholesterol while at it.

other symptoms... not mentioned.. but if true very strong indicators...
    poor erectile quality
    long refractory period (time till you can go again)
    cold extremeties
    etc....

9. BimmerJustin

I dont really have any of those symptoms. However, i tend to hold a lot of water, have trouble keeping body fat down even though i eat healthy and have been lifting/cardio for years. But the symptom that concerns me the most is the last time i had my height checked, it read 5'11" (according to the doc), a couple years ago I was measured at btwn 6'0" and 6'1" I've heard low test can cause lowered bone density, which can cause a decrease in height. So right now, my curiosity is peaked as to where i stand on a profile. Odds are im probably normal and the height thing is a fluke, but knowing that for sure would make me feel better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.