GUN Possible CCW Conflicts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lucas936, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Lucas936

Lucas936 New Member

Hey guys, heres the scoop...I'm 18. I'll be starting college in Kentucky next fall, and live in Indiana. 18 is the minimum age to issue a CCW permit in Indiana and I plan on applying for it here soon. (Yes, I realize I have to be 21 to buy a firearm from a dealer/FFL, I plan on having my father buy the handgun and transfering it to me.) Here's were my problem comes in. Kentuckys issue age is 21, and I will be a resident of Kentucky. But Kentucky honors Indiana permits. Will I be able to conceal carry my handgun legally? I want to be able to carry it on my person when I go out to a range (Which I plan to do alot.) or anywhere for that matter. I dont want to be in a situation where I would have to use my CCW (I pray to god that does not happen) and get torn apart by the court system for protecting myself.

Before anyone says it- Yes, I realize I'm young. I have been shooting handguns/rifles with my father most of my life and he has ALWAYS taught me safety. I always treat guns as if they are loaded regardless if they are or not. The first thing I do is check the gun to see if it is loaded even if I know its not.I can also proudly say I've never pointed a gun at anything I didnt intend to shoot.

Also, please go easy on me if I'm completely talking out my ass here.:hs: :noes:

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

I believe it is usually dependent on residency. If you are a resident of Indiana, your Indiana permit is valid while travelling in Kentucky. Once you become a resident of Kentucky, I would imagine your Indiana permit becomes useless. There is often a "grace period" of sometype where a new residents permit from their previous state of residency will remain valid for X days, to allow them time to get going on the paperwork... but since you won't qualify for a permit in Kentucky I would say you're boned. But I'm just some guy on the internet... so I could be wrong.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

The gray spot here is while you're in Kentucky, you have to follow their concealed carry laws. Now, if they'll only issue to people 21 years and older, then I wonder how they handle that since Indiana residents can have it at 18?

Do you know if in Kentucky they allow people under 21 to have possession of a handgun? If the answer to that is no, then I'd say you cannot conceal carry in Kentucky even with an Indiana permit.

If you're claiming residency in Kentucky, then you'll have to get a Kentucky permit. You can go to college in Kentucky though but still have residency in Indiana though. But, you'll have to pay out of state tuition in Kentucky if you're not claiming residency there though.

4. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

If you're going to be living in dorms at college, go ahead and drop any delusions you have of having a CCP. Universities are considered government property, and they sure as hell don't let you carry on them.

If you were living off campus, however, you'd technically have residence in Kentucky, and you still wouldn't be able to have your permit.

Either way, it ain't working.

5. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

BTW: unless your father 'gifts' you the gun, IE: gives it to your for Christmas or something, its illegal.

IE: you give your dad the cash to buy it for you = felony, 10 years in jail, $250,000 in fines.

I sell guns :)

6. Lucas936

Lucas936 New Member

I'll be in my own apartment, but either way it won't happen. :wtc:

That was my original plan.

Anyway...thanks for your help guys. I guess I'll just have to wait the 3 years to apply for it in Kentucky.

7. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

I'm 22, have a Utah CCL, live in Missouri where you have to be 23 to obtain a MO CCL.

I read up on it beforehand and as far as I know, I'm legally carrying in MO.

8. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

The thing is, your permit is good to travel, so long as you have residence in the state it was initially issued in, and the state you're currently in recognizes it.

When you take up residence in another state, you have to comply with their laws.

9. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What's the definition of residency though? From what I've heard from people who live out of state is they have to live here(LA) for two years and be paying taxes here before being claimed a resident here... Most people out of state for college do not do that though... Usually, when you're away at college, you're still claimed as being with your parents for health insurance, etc... Plus, people who have two houses and have to claim residency at one of them... I assume it would be the same situation.

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Sending thread the BATF :mamoru:

11. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

so what are non-resident permits for?

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

:hsugh:
    He hasn't done anything wrong yet

13. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What states currently have non-resident permits? I know Florida does. I might get mine through them.

14. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I think NH too.

15. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

I got my Indiana permit at 18 and had it shipped to my dorm address at college.

I do not think your Indiana permit will be valid in KY because you have to follow the laws of the state you are visiting as well as the state that issued your permit. Indiana is one of a very few states that allows CCW permits under the age of 21 so I doubt that your permit will have full reciprocity with other states.

With all that said there’s no reason NOT to get your Indiana permit at 18.

Also, you should seek out some professional training before you consider yourself ready to carry a gun for defense. There are many legal, practical and tactical issues you need to learn before you carry a gun for defense. Just growing up around guns doesn’t mean shit when you are in a gunfight.

16. Lucas936

Lucas936 New Member

Sorry to bring my thread back up, but I did not expect so much help and advice. Thanks again guys!

Your completely right. I've looked into classes, I just have to find a place close to my area that teachs them. Even though I'm not applying now for a permit right away now, they will be good to have later thats for sure.