MIL Possibilities for a college grad?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Memopad, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

I'm 22, graduated in december with a BS in biology and chemistry. Exploring my career options in the military, finding it really hard to get info about possibilities for people in my situation (yeah the stickies didn't help too much).

Does my degree make me a candidate for being an officer? And what is a typical route to get there?

I'd like to work in some kind of research/environmental/physical scientist type field, i'm very qualified in those areas. I've searched the websites and don't see much specifics for those areas, does anyone have any knowledge of options in that area?

Also, say i find something i want to do, like a scientist or whatever... what are the chances of getting in, going through officer school, and then getting placed in that field? I'm not really sure how it works, i'd like to make sure i don't get stuck in a tent on the other side of the world unless i want it.

Just trying to get a better idea of my options before i go start talking with recruiters. Also, for someone looking at a field like i'm interested in, who has the best options? I'm inclinded to say the airforce, but i really have no idea.

Thanks for any help you can share.

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

1. a college degree makes you qualified to be an officer
    2. you have to apply for OCS, it's the school/bootcamp where they make you into a military officer
    3. there's plenty of research roles in the military, in the army side, navy (nuke nuke nuke), air force side. but do you have a masters or phd?
    4. there's multiple fields you can get into but the primary function of OCS is to indoctrinate platoon-level infantry officers that lead troops. you can be considered to fly, be JAG (if you have a law degree or got accepted into law school), infantry, or some other field.
    5. you'll most likely be in a tent half way around the world at some point of your time in the military

3. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

It depends on the service.
    but yes you college degree will allow you to apply for OTS, and earn a commission after you complete OTS. I'd go out and buy a AFOQT practice book asap.
    Each service has opportunities that you might be interested in. for the Air Force maybe a 61SX SCIENTIFIC/RESEARCH FIELD or a 62EX DEVELOPMENTAL ENGINEERING FIELD. just google those and you can find info about them. I'm not sure what sort of guarantees you can get with those career fields, an Officer Recruiter would know. Air Force OTS is a 12 week course, its not too bad from what I hear. and the USAF is always looking for technical degrees. Again you best bet is the Officer Recruiter, use you head, ask lots of questions and dont sign the dotted line until you get what you want in writing on the contract.
    good luck.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

If you are interested in OCS for the Army, you must enlist first, go to basic training/AIT, graduate from both, and then apply for OCS. Unless you are medical, there are no options for you straight out of college to immediately become an officer.

5. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

what's the attrition rate for Army OCS?

6. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

some of my good buddies, have college degrees and still went enlisted just to check it out. but i wouldn't recommend that. def. go officer. if i were you i would become a cobra/ apache pilot depedning on which service you joined...

7. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

Thanks for the info, it helps. I'm already a private pilot, and have wanted to fly an f16 since i was a little kid, but its probably a 1/1000000 chance of me going that route. I'm 6'5 and i'm not 20/20.

8. kelleyds

kelleyds New Member

Look into OTS at Maxwell. From there you can work to get a pilot slot. Then you can always go scientist/engineer as a fallback.

Also, if you are interested in flying and you have your PPL ... look into full time guard or reserve units. From there you could get a free slot to SUPT (pilot training) knowing what aircraft you'll leave with.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  9. Tryfaen

Tryfaen New Member

You could look into becoming a commissioned officer in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps(NOAA) which is one of the 7 uniformed services of the United States. They are really big on environmental science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOAA_Corps

10. Yooshaw

Yooshaw I like teh Brew

11. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

:ugh:

12. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

you contract at meps for 09s which is an officer candidate, then do 9 weeks of BCT, then go to OCS.

13. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

:wtf: