positivity challenge

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by ware_ru, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ware_ru

ware_ru I know, I know, I'm amazing

Positivity Challenge - basis for life

7 days don't let any negative thoughts be in your head for more than some pre-specified time, say 5 minutes, or 60 seconds. additionally, every person you meet or talk to, don't let any bad thought about them exist in your mind. it ain't easy

see if it improves the quality of your life. it's something everyone should do

if you have any questions do a search on "positivity challenge" on google. The answers are probably there.

no rhetoric on realism please. realism is another word for pessimism (tony robbins)

try it out.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. Sybian

Sybian She's with me...

Impossible in my line of work but I'll try.

3. ware_ru

i should clarify a bit i guess

something like "man my fuckng computer broke life sucks", instead of making us pissed off all day, turns into "my computer broke. i'm not going to go on ot and i'll be productive today. sweet"

4. Kalypso

Kalypso New Member

You don't need a faulty game to take strides toward optimism, this kind of shit never works.

5. Sybian

Sybian She's with me...

I mean, I'm negative by nature and that kinda sucks but honestly, I'm okay with who I am. I could be a bit more positive but its difficult when people are so stupid in everyday life.

6. ware_ru

do it

7. NCS

NCS Active Member

ive done this for a day (well something very similar) and its interesting

8. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

Fantastic idea.

I started doing this several years ago.

I never, ever allow negative self-talk in my head.

And on those rare occasions it occurs, I squash it immediately.

But I haven't done it where I don't think ANY negative thoughts, so I'm going to give that a shot.

9. ware_ru

do it

10. ware_ru

:rofl: haha it's hard to rewire your thinking habits. It's relaly hard to even NOTICE when you're htinking negatively... but just keep chipping away at it... gl

11. Ferrari430

Ferrari430 New Member

Count me in..I normally think positive anyways, but trying not to think Anything negative is quite the challenge..The thing that gets me the most is when people nag or do things without reason, but like i said, i'll give it a shot :)

12. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

Tried it a few days ago, like it a lot

13. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

Don't call traffic lights stoplights, call them golights. They allow you to go.

:coolugh:

14. Pringles

Pringles New Member

ya I'm a cynical person too. But I dont mind it? Any effects that people can report on why this is good to do?

15. ware_ru

do it do it do it

16. ware_ru

also focus on trying to make OTHER PEOPLE feel good - on adding value to their life and increasing their level of happiness when you talk to them

--- all of these things will, on a psychological level, make you a happier person, a more positively-oriented person, and will keep your subconscious from going "i'm a nasty little shit who likes to make people feel bad for my own gain, schadenfreude, tally-ho!"

17. ware_ru

yes. let it go. stop making excuses and examples where it's "ok" to break from the positivity challenge - that road rage doesn't do anythign for you - does it? i mean if it makes you a better driver or something maybe it's worth holding onto. but if it doesn't add anythign to your life you have to ask yourself why are you still doing it?

18. ware_ru

19. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

lol, if someone told me that irl i'd laugh in their face :rofl:

20. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

on the bright side, you have a sense of humor

21. ware_ru

this was a response in another thread, but is directly related to the topic at hand

hey man i made a thread on the positivity challenge a few threads down... try and take it. it will lead to a lot of improvements in your life. let go of trying to make people ascribe to your world view. everyone has their own desires and opinions in life and we're all here for the same reason. If someone has a different opinion from you in what they're interested in or what they value... it's ok man.

Some people want to be superstar athletes, some people want to fuck a lot of girls, some people want to be priests. that doesn't make them any better or worse than you. Just let it go man... you're the only person coming from your exact experiential history, you're the only one with your exact belief systems. Growth occurs when you can start allowing people to have different beliefs from you and you still accept them.. just as people... as members of the same world as you and if they are not actively trying to go out and make you and other people feel bad, just learn to find value in them and in what they say... just as people

22. ware_ru

this is really going to improve your lives guys, this is a very importnat thread. i see a lot (most) of the posters here coming into every thread with a negative vibe, trying to put everyone else down, not even necssarily give ADVICE, but JUST to knock other people down... wtf? Sure it's an internet forum and none of us actualy know each other in real life but I can't help but think you guys carry these attitudes around with you in your real life... that shit is BAD for you. it gives you wrinkles

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  23. ware_ru

This will improve your game, too.

One interesting thing I noticed is that there are some things that I CAN'T reframe in a positive way no matter how hard I try. There are some things that I simple have enormous trouble making myself feel good about. IMO it's these sorts of things that the positivity challenge tells you that you are supposed to REMOVE from your life AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

Also, as we are socially-pinging animals, people key into your mental state pretty quickly and when you're in a very positive state of mind, all your subcommunicative channels are exuding positivity. People take a liking to you. They know you're a good time. They know you're adding value.

Can't recommend it enough

24. glass

glass New Member

gotta co-sign on it improving one's game.

i don't know.. even when something disastrous happens i tend to step back and laugh a little. sometimes a disaster isn't so bad if you frame it in terms of where you were last year, or five years ago. e.g. i prefer tricky social situations to social isolation, difficult work to being unemployed, and balancing my life to not knowing what to do with it.

discomfort is healthy at times, but there's always a way to frame things positively.

25. hotsauce

hotsauce New Member

in on this. reading the positivity challenge now

i need to stop being a cynical motherfucker sometimes, and let things go :o