Ports

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eye For The Winter, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

I'm at school and torrents are blocked. I was told I could get a port finder and change the download to an open port with the torrent program. Any help would be appreciated. AIM is Tricycle Express.

2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

I wouldn't mind having AIM at work :x:

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Just go into the connection/proxy settings of AIM and change it to port 80. Better turn off sounds and window flashing though.

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

It would be a bad idea to run a port scan on a school network if your I.T. dept is either powerhungry and knows what they are doing. They will know you ran it and if they care will ask you why. But, if you are on a mac, open up Network Utility under Utilities under applications, click the port scan button and type in the IP address of the gateway (Use netstat for that) and a range of ports (something like 1-10000) and click scan. For a start, just type in port 80 and see if it works.

On a PC, open up command prompt (start-> run, type command, hit enter). Type "ipconfig /all", find your gateway. Download a port scanner off download.com. Follow my directions above, done. Btw, if you typed stuff into command prompt with the quotes, /yourself. You probably shouldn't be messing with this stuff if you don't know how to use or know where to find a port scanner anyways. Good luck.

5. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

:werd:, don't think they can't see you. Any network that's worth its salt in security will notice the activity and can trace where it came from. Whether or not they're going to be jerks about it to you is another story.