A&P Portrait photography

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hurleyint1386, Aug 1, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Anyone have any recommended lenses for portrait photography for a Canon? Also, any recommended flashes?

2. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

85 1.4 or bust!

3. hurleyint1386

85 1.2? Canon, not Nikon

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

:rofl: good luck finding a 85 1.4 for canon.

it really depends on what setting/environment your taking portraits in and what your budget is for a lens and lighting. in portraits, the lighting is just as important if not more than the lens/body.

5. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

same shit more expensive :)

6. hurleyint1386

Complete amateur looking to learn more about photography. I think portrait photography is the route I might want to learn about. I'll be taking some photography courses in college, but I'd like to try and do some on my own to learn before classes start. For right now, I'm looking for something that will give me decent pictures (don't have to be absolutely stunning), that's better than an 18-55mm kit lens, and something better than the internal flash on the body right now. I'm not sure what type of environment I'll want to take pictures in most yet. :hsd:

7. tetsuo

easiest and cheapest way to get a decent setup, get a couple of old manual flashes, some cactus triggers (they aren't the most reliable solution, but they are the cheapest wireless option), a couple of stands, holders, and umbrellas for lighting. you could even go with 1 of each of them for now to make sure its something you'll actually be interested in using. the absolute cheapest route to do portraits (and the way i started) is the 50 1.8. you can find them used for 60-75 shipped and a single light setup will cost you another 125-140 or so.

knowing what you are wanting to spend and the environment that you want to take portraits in would help to make recommendations. if you are taking outdoor portraits, you could probably get by without a flash for now and just get a reflector. if you are taking indoor portraits in a studio-like setting, you could get by with some shop lights and white sheets or cloth as diffusers.

edit - by absolute cheapest, i mean the best bang for the buck lens you can get. i started with the 1.8 and got some great photos of my kids with it before upgrading to the 50 1.4.

8. hurleyint1386

Thanks a lot for the insight! I think I might be more interested in studio-like setting. I'll definitely look into the lens you recommended. I'm not looking to pay too much for it because I'd hate to pour tons of money into portrait photography if in a year or so I decide it's not for me and I want to do something else. But a good starter kit would be awesome. I'll look into more with lighting and triggers as well. Again, I'm en extreme noob, so I'm very interested in learning

9. tetsuo

one of the great things about buying used quality equipment is that it will generally always be worth close to what you paid for it assuming you don't break it. :o

if you want to read up on using small manual flashes off camera, strobist.com is a pretty good place to start.

10. hurleyint1386

Definitely good to know.

Any idea where I might be able to find a 50 1.8 for the price range you were saying? I checked eBay and the cheapest I can find is around $95 + shipping. I know it's not too much more, but if I can find it for 60-70, I'd definitely go for that

11. tetsuo

photography-on-the.net
    fredmiranda.com

look in the for sale sections there. i sold mine for 60 shipped on here :o

12. hurleyint1386

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll definitely be picking one up. :noes: Do you know where I can get a lighting setup? Should I be able to find one in the same places? I'll be looking around

13. tetsuo

what sort of lighting setup are you wanting? something easily portable? cheap as possible?

14. hurleyint1386

cheap as possible, but better than the built-in flash

15. tetsuo

16. hurleyint1386

hmmm, i suppose it's not a bad idea for a temporary solution. if i decide portrait is definitely the way to go for me, then i can always upgrade... and i could always use those in my attic anyways haha but depending on how hot they get, i wouldnt want them to cause the cloth to start on fire haha

17. hurleyint1386

oh also, if i were to get lighting like that, would i need a flash at all? or would it not be necessary?

18. tetsuo

you would use those instead of a flash. they should be bright enough that you don't need a flash to light the subject.

19. hurleyint1386

Awesome. So right now, I think I'm going to go purchase a couple of those. Any recommendations for a backdrop? I'll play around with some stuff today, but I won't get the lens until I can get my hands on one, but I'll use my 18-55mm in the mean time.

20. tetsuo

i just use some pieces of cloth i bought from wal-mart. :dunno: i've never bought an actual backdrop, but i probably need to.

21. hurleyint1386

haha that's what I was thinking about using. I'm thinking black. I'll try to get a material that won't be reflective because I've got one that looks pretty bad haha. Well, I'll see who I can get to do a little modeling for some practice and I'll see about posting some of the pictures for some critiques. Thanks a lot for the help

22. Bloke

Bloke Banned

just what are the characteristics of a good portrait. most ive seen are very boring to look at.

heres what i noticed people do
    avoid sharp lenses, they claim to pick up too many flaws.
    subject looks bored -this is very common
    use a 85mm lens or so and stand waaaaaaaaaay back to take the pic since they have a crop sensor, is this really necessary? just use a wider lens and get closer.
    in gereral they tend to be uninteresting non attention getting unmemorable pics.

23. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

24. tetsuo

everyone loves having some distortion in their portraits. :hsugh:

25. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

no 135 f/2 no care