A&P portrait/mural/commissioned artists

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by itchypony, Oct 23, 2003.

1. itchypony

itchypony Guest

I think I want to become one :eek3:

I just saw a quote for 15 murals @ $2000 each for a new recreation center being built here. That's prolly a couple of months work for $30,000 :eek3: :eek3:

2. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

it's ALOT of work...

alot of the time, to even be able to apply for public art space, you have to have years of professional experience... i tried applying for an outdoor space for the city of san pedro's fire departments... the minimum requirements were like 5 years... i tried to BS my way in, hoping that the slides of previous work would be enough, but it wasn't.

the thing with public art is also that the stipend you get usually ends up going towards materials and the amount of time put into the work....

the way it works is that there's a panel, unfortunatly most of the time it's made up of city officials and not artists so what ends up getting approved is usually just design and not art.... (read: stuff that's pretty, not stuff that has meaning)

go for it though, you never know what'll happen

3. itchypony

itchypony Guest

That's interesting, but this is actually for a private facility. I just noticed the quote sitting on the accountant's desk and stole a glance. He may be taking bids from local artists, but I don't know all the details.

I'm not confident in my ability working large scale -- I get lost in the details -- but I think it would be interesting work.

What kind of work do you do?

4. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

sculpture mainly... i've done a few photo murals for small shows, but my only public works have been sculptures