A&P Portrait cropping advice needed

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Derrict, May 23, 2006.

1. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

I don't do much portrait so I'm still checking out how people crop the images and chop off body parts.

[​IMG]

Would you keep it the way it is or crop it differently? ie crop out the hand but in doing so, crop out some of the hair (if from the right) or the torso (if from the bottom). She was on a swing set, hence the hand position.

edit: new crop

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  2. !m/_

!m/_ D͇͈̰̳̺̼ͩ̋̓̾i̠͈̩͙̱̳̟͂̊s̈́͐́ ̻͓̙͌̃̿s̖͙̲̰̫ͨͧ̈́̍̿̚ò&#82

Personally I would have cropped it to a landscape orientation considering it looks like her hair could fill up a good portion of the frame

3. GMosher

GMosher New Member

Holy blue cast, batman.

As far as your question goes, it looks awkward when people cut off body parts in bad places when shooting tight. You've not gotten all of her hair in the the frame, and that's ok, but since we're allready missing some hair, lets go a little tighter and get rid of the claw like potions of fingers hanging out in the bottom right of the frame. I'd also think about killing some of that dead space up top and by doing so to keep the aspect ratio it would get rid of the claw fingers and get her eyes(which should be the focal point in any portrait) out of the centre of the frame. :)

4. Derrict

From what I've seen on portrait shots with big poofy hair, not all of the hair is within the frame. /shrug crop it one way, someone won't like it. crop it the other way, someone else won't like it.

5. GMosher

GMosher New Member

I wasn't concerned about the hair...it's the fingers that get me. and that colour cast dude.

frig the hair. especially in any sort of wind.
    I had a shoot today with a woman with thin thin thin shoulder length hair...and it was blowing EVERYWHERE. lol

6. mojito

mojito New Member

get rid of the hand and a little from the top. if you get rof of some of the left side, then it will create more room on the left side where she is looking, and that will feel more natural. while shes pretty centered right now, you generally want the subject, whether person, car or animal with more room in the direction they're looking or headed

7. eof

eof New Member

You also made a thread about adding a lens to your P&S camera so we know what your opinion is worth.

8. Derrict

Do you mean if I cropped some from the right, it'd give more room on the left? If I cropped the left, there'd be less space where she is looking.

9. Derrict

hehe. I guess he doesn't realize we call it portrait mode for a reason.