A&P portrait attempts

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Eric Happy Meal, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

these are straight from the camera, no PS'ing, and they look kinda shitty blwon up this big, but on my prints they look fine.

[​IMG]

this one i like, but i think there is a little too much in the backround going on, and i also planned to crop it out so its of her from just above her shoulders.

[​IMG]

her face is too dark on this one though..... (guy with the reflector wasnt too good with it)

[​IMG]

same style, same problem.

so what do you guys think of them?

2. The_Eagle_Has_Landed

The_Eagle_Has_Landed New Member

the lighting on the needs work

3. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

It looks like lighting is your enemy here. It's doing allllll kinds of weird things. The first one has a huge lens flare, the 2nd one is really shadowed and teh 3rd one is blown out in some places and shadowed in others.

4. Eric Happy Meal

Eric Happy Meal New Member

yeah the lighting wasnt so great, it was just outside with someone holding up a large sheet of glossy white paper (and he sucked with it too).

5. mojito

mojito New Member

Try to crop in camera. Too much room above the head. Also, try to meter your camera for the diffused highlight. It looks like you metered for the shadows, thats why her hihglights are nuked. And watch the backgrounds, while you used good DOF, the backgrounds are still distracting. Keep practicing

6. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

I think you are on track with the 3rd one. The 2nd one has too much darkness on the facial features and too much light on unimportant features. The first one just suffers from a bad reflection from the car in the background otherwise I think it would be alot better.

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

how do you meter for the highlights?

8. mojito

mojito New Member

if you're camera has a spot meter setting, use it and either point it at the key highlight, or move the camera close enough to take a reading from that, and manually set the exposure to that. External light/flash meters are also very helpful, but I realize that most of you would never shell out the bucks for one. You can also know the Basic Daylight Exposure (aka Sunny 16) Rule.
    On a clear sunny day with teh sun atleast 20° above the horizon, a properly exposed image will be 1/iso @ f/16. You can then make equivalent exposures for DOF reasons. If you know this, you can also learn how much light to add when its couldy or in darkened rooms, but it requires a lot of thinking and bracketing.

9. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

instead of white paper try a white sheet, it will give a softer light, unless of course you want a harsh lighting.

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

A better solution is to use foamcore. It's a lightweight white board about 1/4" thick that won't blow around in the wind like paper or sheets. You can line one side with crinkled tin foil for a brighter reflector and leave the other side white for a softer reflector.

The other thing that bothers me about your pics is the wind blowing her hair. Very distracting. Watch your backgrounds and try to have the subject backlit and bounce some light into her face.