GUN Portlanders signing up in droves to pack heat

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chaos24_7, Apr 30, 2007.

1. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

Portlanders signing up in droves to pack heat

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - The number of Portland-area residents seeking concealed handgun licenses has spiked in the two weeks since a gunman killed 32 people at Virginia Tech University.
    Weekly requests for the licenses have tripled in Multnomah County and doubled in neighboring Washington County, officials said.
    "The world's no more dangerous today than it was the day before the Virginia Tech incident," said Lt. Jason Gates, Multnomah County Sheriff's Office spokesman. "But people see this and they panic."
    Applicants for a license must complete a gun safety class before requesting a licensing appointment. Howard Baker, who teaches gun safety classes in Washington County, said eight people were signed up for his class on the day of the Virginia Tech killings. Twenty-two are signed up for this week's class.
    Baker said the Virginia Tech shootings would have been less deadly if students and professors were also armed. "Instead of hiding under desks and jumping out windows, if someone had some lead and guts, he might have killed some, but it wouldn't have been 32," Baker said of the gunman.
    Elsewhere in the state, the Oregon Firearms Academy in Lebanon added extra personal safety classes in May and June in an effort to satisfy demand. Even with the additional classes, the academy is booked well into fall. Vivian Abbott, the academy's office manager, said she received more than 40 calls about the classes in the days after the shootings.
    Lt. John Black of the Washington County Sheriff's Office said it's common to see a jump in the number of people seeking concealed handgun licenses after a violent attack gets massive media exposure. A sharp increase also followed the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
    "It most likely will be momentary and level out," he said.
    Across Oregon, almost 105,000 people are licensed to carry concealed handguns

http://www.katu.com/news/local/7252676.html

More the merrier I suppose, dont know about "droves" of people signing on tho :ugh:

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i dont get why news companies think this is supprising. 33 people died at a school that banned guns. now, people want to defend themselves.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

How come?

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I got my CCW in a panic

5. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

More ccw carriers = more people attentive to gun owners rights, extending our "family" out.

6. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

It's been like that in MN too. The classes are all packed. It's great.

7. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

I got my ccw after the parking lot attendent behind the nighclub I used to work at was robbed/shot.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well thats how I looked at, you sounded to have mixed thoughts on it.

9. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

I worry that the jackass's are the ones runnig out there to get the new shiny glock that the moron at Sportmans is more than willing to sell them just to make a sale. The panic stricken paranoid parents vs. the people that are responsible about carrying. I can just see the single mom going in and being sold a large caliber handgun then shooting some poor shmuck asking for directions or "CHANGE, SPARE CHANGE?" and making us all look like evil gun owners.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

you sound like an anti...

11. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

nope just sensible

12. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

This is why more states need strict classes for CCLs.

I had to go through a 12 hour class and pass a shooting test. Its not perfect, but its better than states that have no class requirment.

13. Gimik

Gimik New Member

yeah, because no anti thinks they are just being sensible.

14. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

My friend is a hero in portland, for self defense advocates.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Goddamn some times gun owners can be worse than antis. Can you show me some proof that it is better than states that have no requirements. Alaska and vermont don't even require people to do anything to get a license. I have a license from PA and NH and all I did was fill out a form for each. If you're going to support more restrictions, how about you show me some evidence that these states with no training are any less safe than your state.

I tell the anti's to quit playing make believe and look at the real world data all the time, and it goes for you too.

16. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

I'm no anti, far from it. I carry every day. I dont strap on an arsenal when I leave the house. I'm Just Anti-stupid people. I dont want one of the newbs to make things worse than they are. They just need education and responsiblity.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Once again, quit playing make believe and prove it. If you think people need training use the states that don't even require training or a license and show those people with concealed carry permits are more dangerous than those in states without it. If they aren't, your guess is wrong and we don't need mandatory training. The brady bunch likes to play make believe and tell us there will be shoot outs in the street over parking spaces instead of looking at the existing data to say "huh I guessed wrong", don't fall into that same pattern yourself.

18. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Because this is how the anti's think. They think THEY are fine, but anyone else is a problem just waiting to happen. "Oh sure, I'M ok, but if more people do it, you're just going to start having problems!" And by their logic, if you remove EVERYONE from being able to carry, you will avoid the problem all together. This is what you seem to be saying, and why I say you sound like an Anti.

I'm sure to SOMEONE, you seem to be a dangerous gun newb that shouldn't have a gun too.

The point is, like Soy said, it doesn't happen in reality.

19. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

prove what? that there are stupid people that own guns? That people that panic make stupid mistakes? That article is media hype, especially round here. Require training or dont I could give a shit less. The classes here are basicly showing you which end of the gun the bullet comes from for $35. Would you want panic driven residents running around your town? People that know just enough to be dangerous.

20. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

I follow what your saying, points taken from both. I'm a pessimist fear the worst hope for the best.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

But there is zero proof that they're dangerous, that is all in your mind. I don't know if dumb people have already done something dumb that disqualified them from having a gun or if maybe people can be dumb and still realize what a gun is and treat it properly or avoid it if necessary. Why would you be apathetic about more roadblocks to concealed carry when there is nothing to show we need them and you yourself have said the content is worthless? Like I said in Alaska and Vermont if you can own a gun, you can carry it. If people really are dangerous, wouldn't we see that?

You're welcome to be a pessimist but don't support unnecessary and unjustified restrictions on the 2nd amendment.

22. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

Cool, nice point:bigthumb:.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I talk to anti's so much that just felt....to quick....and wrong. Could you call me names at least?

24. chaos24_7

chaos24_7 New Member

Naw, it's cool to hear everyones view (intelligent ones).
    YOU WORTHLESS COCKSUCKER SON OF A BITCH!!!......better now? :rofl:

25. Gimik

Gimik New Member

:rofl: