Porting Websites to flash

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by adam17, Dec 13, 2004.

1. adam17

adam17 now im gonna sing the doom song! doom doom doom do

is there an easy way to do this? i have all of the pages linked together in html. any ideas?

2. MP

MP New Member

not really. flash is more like making a video (in a way), you have frames, tracks, etc. Why do you want an all flash web site? only about 1% of all the flash websites that are out there are actually good. The rest are just slow, not user friendly, and annoying. I think you should stick with pure HTML, and maybe add in some javascript or something. Nobody likes an all flash site.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

agreed. Volvo has some awsome flash on their S40 and V50 pages. Other than that, flash is just annoying.

4. adam17

hmm good point

the reason i was asking was a client of mine wanted a site done entirely in flash (go figure). if u guys can give me a few examples or reasons why it doesnt need to be in flash it would be AWESOME!!!!

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

name a website. I bet it doesn't use flash. At least 95% of good sites are non-flash-based.

it's rare to find a good flash site. Volvo is one exception.

6. MP

MP New Member

okay lets start...

from a web design point of view your client should be striving to have the web site available to as many possible users as it can.

in flash you start off with loading times and site size

that's a turn off on customers / potential customers which == less visitors

not compatible with some browsers. While flash IS for almsot all not all people have it installed on there computer, or they might be running old versions (in library for example) Not being able to view a web site immediatly = less customers/visitors.

the "flashyness" wears off VERY FAST. it's cool the first time and maybe the second time...after that all people want to do is go to where they need to go and skip all the hype or just don't give a crap about it.

flash can be good for small things (intos, commerical type promotions, etc) but not entire sites.

7. MP

MP New Member

8. adam17

9. MP

MP New Member

:werd: I can play around on that site for hours. Then move onto sites they've published for clients...

:noes: :coolugh:

10. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Why not to use all Flash: little or no indexing from search engines (search engines can't process Flash).

This is only a problem if your client wants to be found in search engines or not. Usually this is a good reason not to do entire sites in Flash.

In my opinion:

Flash is a novel concept. When done right it can be "cool." The trick here is every single viewer of the Flash is a critic and to get all of them to consider it "cool" is a tough challenge.

Look at whosweststudios.com. Its a cool interface to their site. But there's a learning curve. How long does it take to find their phone number? Little things like that can get annoying for some users.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Never, never, never, never, never, I can't say never enough times create a site that requires the user to have Flash (or any other plugin for that matter). If you create a site in Flash, be sure to create a non-Flash version as well for users who don't have Flash or choose not to use it. Flash can be nice when used correctly, but on slower computers it's not nice at all and not everyone wants to (or is allowed to or knows how to) download and install the Flash plugin just to view your website.

12. Penguin Man

It's nice looking and flashy, but I would never hire anyone with a website that bad. If I was actually looking for something on that site, I would get fed up with it after the loading screen and just leave.

13. OmniFire

OmniFire *************************

the same thing you guys are saying about flash is the same thing people said about javascript 8 years ago.

if search engine results are a problem, you use meta tags.

as for the original question, yes you can port websites to flash by using xhtml.

Probably the best web design team out there:
    http://www.fantasyinterfaces.com/

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

dunno about anyone else, but I still hate JS... And I discourage it's use whenever possible.

15. MP

MP New Member

16. Penguin Man

:werd: I use it at times, but only if what I'm trying to do can't be done any other way. I think on my company website, I've used it exactly once, for our sitemap, which is a fancy piece of DHTML.

There is also a huge difference between javascript and Flash in that Flash requires a third-party browser plugin and always will (since Macromedia is highly unlikely to unlicense it and let someone build it into a browser). My policy when I'm designing is that a website should work and look correct in any browser on any computer without the user needing to download anything special. I stick to pure HTML/CSS as much as possible. Like I said above, Flash can be nice as long as it doesn't make the page harder to use and as long as there is an alternative. I find that when I'm presented with a choice between the flash version and the non-flash version of a page, I almost always go with the non-flash version.

17. Penguin Man

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

works great in opera :shrugs:

19. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Meta tags: Google skips over them (as of this moment in time). What's plan B? Sounds like you're SOL unless you generate both a Flash site and an HTML site.

20. MP

MP New Member

give google money :wavey:

21. Penguin Man

I assume it's not intended to look like this:

[​IMG]