Portible MP3 player that can play .DTS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MadEmperor, Oct 15, 2008.

1. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

Does anyone make a Portable MP3 player that has the ability to playback .DTS?

I'm starting to collect more of the DTS music, and it often sounds alot better then it's FLAC/Uncommpressed counter part.

:x::x:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think DTS has volume decompression built-in, much like Creative Labs' X-Fi technology. Basically, a lot of music you hear on the radio has its volume compressed so the quietest sounds are only slightly quieter than the loudest sounds, which works well on car stereos where you have lots of background noise to overcome, and it also makes the music sound more energetic, but it destroys a lot of the details in the music. Volume decompression restores the dynamic range of the music so quiet sounds are actually quiet, and crescendos are actually really loud like the musicians intended them to be. That's probably what you're hearing.

Any lossless data compression will sound the same by definition (because there's no lost data to have to reconstruct), and FLAC would sound as good as DTS, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't support on-the-fly volume decompression; you'd have to find a program to preprocess your music first. It might be a more practical solution, though, because DTS is very proprietary and the license fees probably make it impractical to use in a pocket music player.

3. MadEmperor

MadEmperor meh OT Supporter

I downloaded Pink Floyd Dark Side the Moon and did a side by side with my current FLACs.....

DTS > FLAC > MP3 (although, often Flac->mp3 is hardly noticable) :wiggle:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Like I said, DTS might sound better, but it's not because of differences in data compression, because it's lossless compression anyway -- it would be like saying that a .CAB file somehow preserves the quality of your documents better than a .ZIP file, which can't be true, because none of the original data is eliminated in the first place.

Since DTS is proprietary, and therefore they actually turn a profit from time to time, chances are they paid a bunch of smart people a ton of money to develop a player for their format that can increase the apparent quality of music stored in their file format -- but source material is still the same, provided the ripping settings are identical. If you took that Pink Floyd album and ripped it to FLAC and DTS yourself (instead of stealing it, cough cough), making sure they were both set to lossless compression with no oversampling, then the waveforms would be 100% identical during playback -- any variations would be due to post-processing by the music players.

I'm sure you could find software that can do similar post-processing as DTS, but do it to FLAC files instead, and since FLAC is open-source. Why bother? Because if you stick with open formats, you don't have to fork out extra cash for a pocket player that can handle DTS.

5. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

The differences you're hearing could be due to the remastering. The DTS track probably comes from a SACD or DVD-A release of the album which has a 4channel or 5.1 channel mix, which really is the point of DTS: to have more than 2 channels for theater environments. Since you typically listen to MP3 players with headphones, there is no point in having more than 2 channels.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

probably some korean pmp