A&P portfolio books?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by someonenew, Feb 25, 2009.

1. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

how many people have a physical portfolio and where'd you get your books?
    online? got a link?
    how much did you pay?
    what size are you using?

I'm seeing some stuff in the 11x14 range on Amazon for about 45 bucks, and wanted to see what else was out there.

2. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

I've been meaning to get one started. HCE has a large variety...I'm just lazy about it.

Anyway...in for a real response.

3. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

HCE has a lot of stuff...at a significant markup

Someone was actually saying an art supply store would have them, and be cheaper:dunno:

4. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

I was just looking up stuff like this. I found http://www.cornerstonealbums.com/ that's sold through Mr. Gary Fong.

Don't know anything else about it. :dunno:

Looks like you have to buy the designer software (100) and then ~130 for a 20 page 5x5 book.

5. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

I think either blurb or azuka books gives you 50% off on your first sample book. I'm doing that w/ them as soon as I get the next 2 weddings done. Always good to have sample books.

6. Stevie DV

Stevie DV Artist

go to aaron brothers and look for a 40% off one item coupon online. I got one that was in the $3.99 section by mistake and they gave it to me for that price due to their error, then I twisted the knife by using a coupon. got it for like $2.50. I think it was supposed to be $40 or something,

7. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Those are more for albums than portfolios. I think what he's talking about (at least what I'm talking about) is something like this:
    http://www.adorama.com/FLOFPA0112.html?sid=1235532950533181

8. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

9. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Lol I just got one of those cheap clearbooks from a local bookstore here. My 8x12 pics fit nicely inside, with a little bit of room on the sides though.

10. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I wasn't that impressed with Blurb. My order wasn't delivered on time despite paying extra for 2nd day delivery and the quality wasn't all that great. I would give them another shot at it, but my first attempt with them wasn't very good.

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

For a portfolio I'd do something better than Blurb anyway. Azukabook and now WHCC both do high end books that can be bound in leather and are very nice quality. Better than Blurb for something like a portfolio.

Another really good book company is Shared Ink. They do a ton of wedding albums and things like that and also produce a very high quality product.

That being said, I dont even bother with a true portfolio anymore. Too much trouble keeping it up, sending it to a potential client then trying to get it back etc.

I have resorted to just using small print on demand paperback books from My Publisher. They are about $12 each, I get 20-30 made at the beginning of each year with new stuff from the last in it and I can just mail them off to potential clients and never have to worry about getting them back at all. Just a business expense. Clients are just fine with them, quality is good enough for them to see the shooting style, they last for the 5 or 6 times a client might peruse it and I dont have to worry about them getting destroyed or lost. Works out great.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

it all depends on who you are showing it to.

if its some senior portaits then a Asuka book would be great.

if its commercial studio shots to an art director, then you'd want something more unique to stand out.

You also need to really look at whats going into it. You only want to show images that actually pertain to the viewer. a brides mom isn't going to care about that great skateboarding shot you have. So if you have something where you can switch the images out easily, that tends to work better than having 5 different portfolios.

The problem with spending big bucks on a nice print album is that you best images should always be changing as you shoot more.