Porter Cable Vs. Rotary effectiveness.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by BlinginAssRims, Oct 10, 2004.

1. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

From what everyone has ever told me the true only effective way to remove swirl marks completely is with a rotary buffer. I want to try a different machine than the crap ive been using so Im looking at a makita, and im also looking at a porter cable. But in reading these threads, autopia, etc. I get the idea the PC is just a really glorified orbital. (waits to be flamed) I mean, can you really get the same effect with the PC as with a kick ass rotary, or is the PC just a much safer almost as good alternative?

Id appreciate any info you throw at me. thanks.

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

A PC wil get swirls out just fine :) For some badly deep scratches, you may need a rotary, but I have found a way to do it with a PC ;)

3. solaraguy

solaraguy Guest

The PC is not going to be as effective as a rotary for hard core problems, but I've worked some wonders with mine. Really deep scratches will probably not be something a rotary can fix either...they generally require wetsanding after using touch up paint.

The PC is very safe because you don't build up much heat; that's where a rotary can get you into trouble. If you haven't used a rotary before, it is possible to do some real damage to your paint. The PC isn't 100% idiot proof but it is close.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail it is usually too deep to fix with a PC or a rotary; the best you can do is to make it less noticeable...you can't really make it go away without some touch up paint and follow up. I have not had good luck with the Langka chip repair kit, but that is more my technique & the fact that metallic paint is very difficult to fix. I'd probably try Langka (available also on the Mother's chip repair kit) before taking it to someone with wet sanding experience.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Unless your paint has serious defects, a PC with the proper pad and polish will remove them. Deep scratches, very heavy swirls, etc will probably require a rotary though. An intermediate step is the Cyclo, which is a dual head single speed PC with heads that oscillate in opposite directions. It runs about $300 but it has better cutting ability than a PC without the heat build up and swirl risks with a rotary.

If you plan on getting a rotary, it will be well worth the cost to buy a couple of fenders at a wrecking yard to practice on.

5. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

i have the fortune of practicing on loaner cars at the dealership i work at MWAHAHAHAHHAHA.

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Odds are that you will not have to pay for said fenders either. When I got my Porter Cable Rotary I called a local body shop and they said take what you want.

I can get out most everything with a PC but the rotary has come inhandy on several occasions, most recently on my Maxima that was fucked by a body shop and they left some uneven paint on one spot. Got out the rotary with a yellow cutting pad and some Menzerma(sp?)IP and it leveled out nicely.